Dilema

• steve_b
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #2307 by steve_b
Replied by steve_b on topic Dilema
Tony,
Although B&C rate the horn as having a 1.5KHz cut off I agree with you that it is too small to be useful below about 2.5 KHz. Their 250 comp driver is recommended to be crossed over at 1.6KHz or above but there is no way it would go that low on the ME10 horn. When I first built the cab I started with a lower crossover point but ended up at the 2.5KHz point after testing. If I get chance I’ll do some more measurements on a different horn I’ll put the results up to compare.
With regards the measurement method, I’ve always found using the ground plane gives results that sound good. I do sometimes do a quick check with the speaker on its back and the mic above it. Even moving the mic on the ground plane is sometimes sufficient to show up any anomalies due to the measuring procedure. In fact I usually fiddle with the mic position to get the flattest response before applying eq as I figure any reflections can only make things worse. By the time I’ve listened to a few Cds and done a couple of gigs I decide if I’m happy or need to remeasure.
Even at the full retail price I would recommend it. At the price you quoted it is a steal. Performance wise it competes with the best. Size wise the only ones I’ve used comparable are the DE10 and a little Eminence driver, whose model number I forget, which sums up its performance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steve_b
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #2491 by steve_b
Replied by steve_b on topic Dilema
Sorry for the large text in the last post. I was working from my laptop and did a cut and paste job from word. I thought that the text would default to the standard size. It's got nothing to do with my failing eye sight honest.

I've re-measured the comp drivers on a larger horn and put the results up on my web site. The direct link is the one further up in the thread

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds