question-circle Ported Sub to Tapped Horn. Questions before starting

4 years 8 months ago #24400 by suparub
Hi folks !

I am kind of new here and after having built few vented enclosures for bass / midbass drivers, I decided to go forward and build Tapped Horn types in order to get the best of my RCF LF15N401 with this plan :
www.freespeakerplans.com/plans/14-plans/basscab/10-apache-h15 .

But before-hand, I have few questions in mind :
  1. Vibrations : I need to have my setup (turntables + mixer) diretly on the top of the enclosure : How will it goes with the bass vibrations ? Will I be able to operate everything smoothly or will it be unpracticable ? If too shaky, what would be a solution to have my setup on the enclosure or as close as possible ? I need to be ultra compact
  2. Plan Optimization : On the plan, it's written that many drivers are fittable, but I know that each driver has it's own characteristics, so on it's on enclosure size. How could I optimize this plan for the RCF LF15N401 and be sure I'm getting the best of the driver ?
  3. Wood type : Is it ok if I use MDF or I strictly need to use plywood ?
I am also open to any other "simpler" design that would give close results to this design, the idea here is to have an enclosure that give the most powerful SPL / DB for the minimum power needed. Ex : www.gearclubdirect.com/rcf-passive-ip55-800w-15-neo-subwoofer/ ?

Here is the spec sheet of the driver : www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?u...526836&groupId=20195

Here is a picture of the ported enclosures I have built for the record

Thank you in advance for your lights. BLESS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago #24406 by Cubo15

Vibrations : I need to have my setup (turntables + mixer) diretly on the top of the enclosure : How will it goes with the bass vibrations ?
Will I be able to operate everything smoothly or will it be
unpracticable ? If too shaky, what would be a solution to have my setup
on the enclosure or as close as possible ? I need to be ultra compact

Actual turntables, like the SL-1210? That might be asking for problems, Think low frequency feedback/ rumble and skipping on real high levels. Either use a construction that decouples from the sub woofer, or adds a lot a weight on top.

Plan Optimization : On the plan, it's written that many drivers are fittable, but I know that each driver has it's own characteristics, so
on it's on enclosure size. How could I optimize this plan for the RCF
LF15N401 and be sure I'm getting the best of the driver ?

Not much that you can do, unless you measure the results first. Pretty sure that driver/ cabinet combo will be just fine though.

Wood type : Is it ok if I use MDF or I strictly need to use plywood ?

That isn't going to help much with point 1 unless you decouple well/ add enough weight. But 18 mm, 13 ply Baltic birch B/BB is your best choice.

Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.