How to manage 5 way

• rastaonevt
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #22792 by rastaonevt
How to manage 5 way was created by rastaonevt
Hello everyone! I open this discussion because I can't find solutions in any technical section of the forum (if so, I apologize in advance for not finding it!).
The question is this:
How to manage, in terms of connections, 5-way sound system with a 4-way preamph? The question is strictly linked to the use of Box in projects such as the mt121, which uses two or more components in the same case that work at different frequencies. Perhaps through the use of an internal crossover?
A visual example of what I'm talking about have it here:
[img]http://http://www.startpagina.nl/athene/dochters/reggae-sound-system/images/tumblr_mu3rrasc6g1siy4v8o1_1280.jpg[/img]

Assuming to use one way (in the preamp) for each sound system "row", how to deal with the double section of the medium (mt121)?
I hope I was clear! Thank you all, Vitt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rastaonevt
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #22793 by rastaonevt

More
8 years 10 months ago #22794 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic How to manage 5 way
3 ways to do this.

As you said you could run a passive crossover between the 12” and HF driver in the MT121. Its not really a great way to do it as there could be quite a bit of power going into that section and you might get some saturation.

The next and better way would be to run a passive crossover between the MT121 HF driver and the bullets at say 10khz. A lot less power going on this high up so a safer bet.

The best way would be to lose the bullets and use a very good HF driver in the MT121’s. This way you would not need the bullets, which are going to create problems with phase coherence and are an added cost you don’t really need.

If you want the bullets for looks, then make up some dummy boxes with the cheapest but nicest looking bullets you can find, and don’t connect them up.

Rog.

• rastaonevt
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #22800 by rastaonevt
Replied by rastaonevt on topic How to manage 5 way
Hello Rog, thanks for your answer. You're right, the bullets are not needed with a good HF driver in mt121. Maybe I will have a Jo Red 4-way preamph. In this case, how do you connect the outs to the system with that configuration? Sub -- to scoops / Bass -- to HD215 / Mids -- to MT121 / Hi -- to MT121 (using two connections in the box, one for the 12'' and one for the horn?).

I take this opportunity also to ask you, in your opinion, what's the second choice excluding the pd1850 and pd2150 in your superscoop of 18'' and 21''?
Best regards, Vto

More
8 years 10 months ago #22801 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic How to manage 5 way
For the MT121, use 4 core cable and 4 way speakons. Either do a break out at the amp end, or run a 4ch amp with 12” on 1+, 1- and HF on 2+, 2-

I’m not up on what current drivers work in super scoop. But for the 21 you might want to try a B&C 21SW 152. For the 18, maybe some Fane or Royal Turbomax. Void do a driver that’s hard to get hold of that might work.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds