work experience around london.

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #21904 by dnb123
work experience around london. was created by dnb123
Hey, so im 17, built a small soundsystem, and im looking to go to uni in the next two years to study sound engineering or sound technician. if anyone on here could help me out with some work experience, preferably paid, but not paid is better than nothing i would apreciate it as i am slightly skeptikal that i will not get in due to me lacking any music A-levels. it would have to be part time as i am still in education how ever it is not full time so hopefully we could work something out around my timetable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #21938 by DuffManNeverDies
Replied by DuffManNeverDies on topic work experience around london.
Ello chap, now I can't help you out with any work experience at the moment, however I've just graduated from University, and I studied Sound Engineering down in Southampton. It's an amazing industry and a degree in Sound Engineering is the best all round audio degree. You'll learn about acoustics, electronics, compression systems, live sound etc etc. So def go for that sort of degree if your heart lies in audio.
If you have any questions regarding the degree I'll be happy to answer, and as for the work experience sorry I can't help you out.

Peace B)

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #21954 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:work experience around london.
Sorry just saw this and thanks a lot mate, I'll definitely look at southhampton, also one of the universities in Bristol has sound engineering do you know if that uni is any good

More
9 years 5 months ago #22296 by mattstolton
Replied by mattstolton on topic Re:work experience around london.
TBH, I am sceptical of the worth of some of the degrees floating about.

I don't know about the exact module make up of the Southampton one, but I would consider a traditional engineering degree, and cram it full of electronic and audio related modules.

When you realise that this industry is rubbish, you can then fall back on a proper degree, and actually get a proper paying job, and make boxes at the weekend. My wife works in Oil & Gas recruitment. She is always looking for "Piping Support Designers". I thought they were assistants to the Piping Designers, but actually they design pipe supports - as in blobs of concrete, a metal post, and a pipe clamp on the end. They have been earning up to £70 per hour, as Ltd companies, and doing 40-50 hours a week. All you need is an NVQ.....and the software on the PC.

The money in the noise industry is in the testing and design sides - so an acoustics degree makes sense. Means you can CAD up a building, and run simulations of how it is going to sound. Helen Goddard of AMS acoustics did this for Terminal 5 - I wouldn't like to think how much she charges out per day for this level of consultancy work, but is significant. She cut her teeth on projects like sticking the EV system in Victoria rail Station, pre PC/Computer modelling days. That is where the money is. Boring as hell, maybe, but means you can afford a house with a triple garage, and that table saw you always wanted.

I haven't done a club in ages, let alone a multi KW rig. Club Owners seem to be a bit "short" on spare cash. I make money doing 100V line Voice Alarm systems for London Buses. TFL have a pound or two, and just want things done properly. Glamourous - Hell no, but it pays the bills.

Saying that, I did play to 1/2 million people on Sat 8th November, and got air time on Auntie Beeb (about 10 seconds, but it all adds up to my 15 minutes). All with just 4x400w 1x12" Full range, a PLX3402, and a 6KVA generator. As it is written elsewhere, I am the world's greatest Sound Engineer.

So, whilst playing with large rigs, at parties and events, is a giggle, everyone has to pimp themselves, and pay the mortgage some how. Just make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open, and for "gawd's sake", have a back up plan.

Best Regards

King Matt - The World's Greatest Sound Engineer

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 1 month ago #22610 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:work experience around london.
Hahaha thanks a lot mate, you put it quite well! Hiwever im one of those kids that has their mind set on something and I needs to accomplish it in! Which is why I will do all this stuff. If I dont make money I can fall back on other crap however im shooting for the highest possible achievement but if it comes to it ill settle with a job at maccy ds ;)

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds