Plans for 12" stage monitor? Help Please

• freak443
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #20659 by freak443
Hi, im desperately looking for a plan for a basic 12" + Tweeter stage monitor/wedge.

I cant find one anywhere, im looking at a p audio e12-350 or similar driver to put in it.

would be nice to see some new plans on here, and for stuff other than subs! :P

thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #20720 by DeVille
Replied by DeVille on topic Plans for 12" stage monitor? Help Please
I can give you my modest plans for a 42 liter ported cabinet. They are big enough for a two-way configuration. I used a triaxial BMS point source. Came out great.

I designed my floor monitor to have three potential placement options. That would be two angles firing up from the floor and one as a stacked or pole mounted main front of house type placement. During my research, I noted many floor monitors are designed to provide a 60 degree or 30 degree (to the floor) play angle. I looked at several configurations and decided to use a less pronounced 50 and 40 degree angles. For the sake of simplicity in cutting and joining the cabinet sides, all of the angles, except those that establish the baffle board’s angle to the floor, were made to be 90 degrees.

To calculate how much volume the interior of the cabinet should be and what the dimensions of the tuned port should be, I used Kristian Ougaard’s Unified Box (Unibox) Model spreadsheet. Kristian built a spreadsheet that uses Theile-Small parameters of the driver and theoretical calculations to predict how that driver will behave in a given cabinet. Ideally, I would have built several test cabinets and measured the drivers’ behavior to optimize my results. Time and money constraints prohibited real-world prototypes, so I trusted that Unibox predictions would be better than my uninformed guesses. You can down load Unibox from several websites online.

My initial design was just big enough to accommodate the 12CN860’s depth. From there I calculated the cross-section area of the interior of the cabinet. I could then adjust the cabinet’s width to create the desired interior volume. I placed my priority of flat bass response over the desire for small size and light weight. To achieve the volume I needed, I would have ended up with a pretty wide monitor. Given the need for more volume, I decided to increase the depth behind the driver slightly and make my baffle width proportional to its height using the golden ratio. Hey, a speaker has to look good too, right?

Do you use Sketchup?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by DeVille.

More
10 years 6 months ago #20721 by DeVille
Replied by DeVille on topic Plans for 12" stage monitor? Help Please
My plans are for a set of monitors for use with my Fractal Axe-FX 2. I noticed your avatar, and figured you might chasing the same thing.

• freak443
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #20727 by freak443
Replied by freak443 on topic Plans for 12" stage monitor? Help Please
Yes i use sketchup, i'm not very good yet.

Plans would be great, i have made my own plans, but i think there may be a couple too many difficult miter cuts for my modest skill.

I am building a full rig for use with bands etc, i am a sound engineer. and have built FOH rig and looking for a monitor design to complete the setup,

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #20732 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Plans for 12" stage monitor? Help Please
Would this do, Designed for the BMS 12" range

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Tony Wilkes.

• freak443
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #20736 by freak443
this is really cool! i love the handles!

have you got measurements for these? or a sketchup file i can grab measurements from?

my e-mail is rossATbluebirdsoundDOTcom

i would probably have make them slightly wider though to accommodate a tweeter. I cant really afford a decent dual concentric driver to put in there!

but i love the design!!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #20737 by Tony Wilkes
You may be surprised with the cost of a ferrite Co-Axial, by the time you add in a decent horn and comp the co-axial is sometimes better value and as a point source is way better for a Monitor.

Drawing is only available as a 3D stp. file but you are welcome to that. If you download a a programme called Freecad ( www.freecadweb.org/ ) this would enable you to get all the dimensions etc. from the stp. file

Tony
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Tony Wilkes.

• freak443
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #20738 by freak443
i shall have a research into it then. that file would be great, ill be able to work it out im sure, i just need to get the dimensions. i have some experience building speakers, with some excellent results, so i will look forward to building these!!

where do i get the stp file from, can you email it to me?

:)

More
10 years 6 months ago #20739 by Tony Wilkes
As soon as I get back on my work computer I will send you the file :)

Tony

• freak443
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #20740 by freak443
Thank you, you lovely man!

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds