Fibreglassing Bins!

• BeauTB
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20540 by BeauTB
Fibreglassing Bins! was created by BeauTB
Hey I've just built a load of speakers and have decided tuffcab just isn't doing the job on it's own, anyone had any experience fibreglassing their own boxes or know of any guides on how to do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #20547 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Fibreglassing Bins!
Fibreglassing is easy only when you know how. Fibreglass will be very tough and can be made to look quite presentable when applying it. the ultimate would be to paint it with polyester resin or at least 2 pack which would really stick the the Glass. Do you know where to get anything?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• BeauTB
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20548 by BeauTB
Replied by BeauTB on topic Fibreglassing Bins!
If I know what to get I'll find a way of getting it that isn't a problem. The polyester resin which you talk about is that like using the fibreglassing mats and then applying the resin on top or is it a separate product that you could simply apply straight on top of the wood after the wood has been prepared?

• BeauTB
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20549 by BeauTB
Replied by BeauTB on topic Fibreglassing Bins!
Ah I just got what you mean, painting the fibreglass with the resin. It might be a challenge fibreglassing the speakers but i'm up to it. I'm after a high end professional finish like voids/funktion-ones, I thought having allot of rough coats of tuffcabb would be up to challenge but it isn't holding up so well. allot of money has already been poured into the system and there seems no point in cutting corners now. do you have any experience in fiberglassing speakers? If so how did you go about doing it?

More
10 years 7 months ago #20550 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Fibreglassing Bins!
All I can suggest is that you buy some materials which should consist of Fibreglass matting, Resin and Hardener. you will need brushes and rollers and Acetone for cleaning. Once you have these, I would suggest that you just get pieces of wood, and practice applying the material. Within a very short time you will get the hang of it. The technique of laying up Fibreglass hasn't really altered from day one. Good Luck.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds