Unknown Brand Sub Box

More
10 years 11 months ago #20051 by THURO
Unknown Brand Sub Box was created by THURO
Hey guys, I have some boxes lying around that I want to use for subs. I want to know what speakers to put in them, but I have no information on the brands of these boxes. I've loaded these before, and for the type of music we listen to (Deep House) they seem to do the job fine with the speakers they have in there, but again I have no info on what speakers they are, and I would like to know what it is exactly that these things can put out. If anyone can help me by modeling these boxes it would be awesome. Here I leave you guys some pictures of them as well as the pseudo plans I drew of them. The wood is 5/8" thick and I left out a measurement of a grayed out piece that is along the top which measures 5 3/4" wide x 5/8" thick x whatever it measures tall since the other piece of wood is at an angle. I know in the back part it measures 7 3/4" tall but towards the front I didn't measure. Here's the link to my Flickr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #20052 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Unknown Brand Sub Box
That looks like a kick cab band pass horn. Not sure which one, not one of the two I thought it might be. I would think it should be best above about 60hz up to about 200hz. Horn looks too small and short to go very low, so be careful you don't try to push lower than the horn is loading or it will kill your driver.

Edit to add: Might try Speaker Plans Forum. Lots more traffic, and someone will ID this cab.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by bgrade.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20076 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Re: Unknown Brand Sub Box
The cab is heavily influenced by the Turbosound cabs, even the material is the same thickness that was used on the TMS range. I doubt whether there is a brand name attached, and I would imagine it was a DIY project for someone. It's a small compression chamber so only certain speakers will do. Just look to see what people use in similar loaded cabs.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
10 years 11 months ago #20077 by THURO
Replied by THURO on topic Re: Unknown Brand Sub Box
All right, thanks for the input guys. I'll look for a 18 designed for a small compression chamber. I tried some Kilomax woofers and it didn't really make it sound louder. I'll try and get the specs out of that woofer that's in there, although it has no name on it. I know another box came with an RCF L18P300 in it. The person that gave me the boxes took the speakers out, so I don't know if he even knew which one was with what speaker etc. I have no clue what to look for but I'm sure I'll find something. Either that or I might sell these boxes and just build some Cubo 15's, which was my original plan. Thanks again.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20078 by THURO
And by the way, just with a quick look it does seem to me this is some sort of separated Turbosound TMS 4 midbass section. Actually looks super close to the TMS 3, but the 18" woofer is more akin to the TMS 4.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20079 by bgrade
Don't use kilomax in horns. Eminence acknowledges that it is not suited to Horn duties. Pretty much only for Bass Reflex. They recommend the Omega for horn/scooploading, and it is way cheaper too. I am somewhat skeptical of the Omega, but some people seem to have good luck with them.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20080 by THURO
Good to know, I think I have found the speaker box itself. I'll give these people a call to see what they recommend. It's apparently a Mexican company, although I did notice Chinese writing inside one of the boxes. I don't know if they'll even recommend something that's really suitable for the box tbh. Probably made in China then sent over to Mexico to be sold. haha. I find all this somewhat amusing. We'll see where all this leads.

Link to most probable box

They have it listed in their line array section, and they also have a sub box in there. I'm curious to see how much they sell these for. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20083 by bgrade
I don't want to be negative about everything, but I have some concerns on that box. It looks like a sub, and has an 18" but it says that it runs up to 18khz and has a crossover at 3khz. That would be a midtop box, not a sub, and I have severe doubts about any 18" reaching 3000 hz and not sounding awful. For me these are all red flags.
If you want an 18" sub, and are interested in the eminence drivers, I would take a look at their recomended enclosures. They dont give you actual plans, but they tell you volume, vent size and give you a ball park estimate on performance. Kilomax for example: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kilomax_Pro_18A_cab.pdf

More
10 years 11 months ago #20087 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re: Unknown Brand Sub Box
defo an 18 bph, should be good from 50hz to 150hz, it wont go much higher, being an 18 and of a bhp design. Look at a pd186, due to the small chamber you want a driver with a stiffer cone.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20088 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re: Unknown Brand Sub Box
another driver would be the celestion 18 4050 hdx

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds