• stoffergoffer
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #19107 by stoffergoffer
Ugly peak in the midrange was created by stoffergoffer
I have build some pa speakers with these specific drivers:

Bass/mId: www.monacor.dk/produkter/hoejttalerenheder-pa10-12/vnr/105410/
High: www.monacor.dk/produkter/hoejttalerenhed...adiskant/vnr/103440/

The problem is i have a bad peak in the midrange with center in 1k hertz, and when i attenuate from 500-2000 hertz on my amplifier, the sound gets really really good. I have to attenuate 1k with 12db according to my amplifier.

I have made the passive crossover work at 4000hz. Maybe if i made a new LP filter at 2000hz or 1000hz for the bas/mid, and that would decrease some of that ugly peak. What else could i do? i do not like to do that much of eq'ing :(

I should also say that these are part of a bigger system with a sub, but i would like to work them alone too.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by stoffergoffer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #19120 by audiomik
Replied by audiomik on topic Re: Ugly peak in the midrange
You will likely find that your "bad peak" has much to do with your selection of 'Drivers.

The LF one, in it's spec sheet, says it is only suitable for a maximum frequency range up to 4000Hz, so without important figures to clarify this then really you should be crossing it over no higher than 2200Hz as high frequency 'beaming' could well be a part of the problem you are observing/hearing.

Now the HF Horn/Driver you are looking to use has a minimum recommended X-Over frequency of 4000Hz in it's spec sheet.
I wouldn't recommend going below this frequency for this Horn/Driver!.

The combination of the LF Driver 'Beaming' and your Horn is most likely the cause of your 'peak' problem especially with your Horn resonating at 1300Hz.

So as a solution:
try a different Horn/Compression Driver combination with full capability down to 2000Hz, alter your X-Over to suit this. Suggest you having a look at BMS products for this for cost/quality?

Make certain that you are using a correctly designed 12dB per octave X-Over filter.

hope this assists, others may come along and better clarify what I've suggested

Mik
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoffergoffer

• stoffergoffer
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #19127 by stoffergoffer
Replied by stoffergoffer on topic Re: Ugly peak in the midrange
I haven't read much about beaming, but can it cause the peak that i experience? as i understand beaming would make the sound bad when i move around the speaker, but it wouldn't peak any frequencies.

Anyway I think it would help if I exchanged the tweeters with a driver, and lowered the xover.

Do anybody else know what could cause the problem? I also have a zobel filter on the 12"
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by stoffergoffer.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds