K10 project: lets design some 10,000 watt speakers

More
11 years 9 months ago #18792 by jsg
Groundrules: each box handles 10KW total continuous power B) with reasonable distortion/thermal compression. All boxes are to fit through a single doorway :pinch: and be (just about) practical to move and install :blink: . Assume we can afford neo :dry: . Assume we can use custom drivers, but estimate feasability/performance based on real, existing drivers :evil: .

Let's start with a 10KW sub and a 10KW point-source tops box. Go...!

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #18797 by bee
wow, your not asking for much lol...... im sure this is possible, 4 18'S mounted on a v angle, reflex style........ is an easy build......

More
11 years 9 months ago #18803 by Dref
For sub:
One Ground Zero Plutonium GZPW 18SPL, in either a reflex, BP, TH or a FLH.
If specs holds any water then go for a FLH so the sub can do more than just use power.

For top:
Maybe a synergy horn with a lot of high power drivers.

More
11 years 9 months ago #18804 by jsg
The GZPW 18SPL is specced 10K "SPL power" - I don't know what that means. It might mean the driver will take a "burp" for a few seconds while the SPL is being measured. What kind of continuous sine wave power can these take?

Ars est celare artem

More
11 years 9 months ago #18806 by Dref
To be honest I don't know. The specs I found on their site just said 10000W RMS : www.gz-usa.com/subwoofers/33/plutonium-gzpw-18spl/

Another suggestion for the 10KW total continuous power:
2 B&C 21IPAL in either a reflex, 6.order bandpass or tapped horn.

More
11 years 9 months ago #18807 by jsg
I'm suspicious of the Ground Zero unit. On the linked page it says 10000WRMS, but in the linked user manual www.gz-usa.com/subwoofers/33/plutonium-g...18spl/1256021634.pdf it says "SPL power", and I can't find a definition. There is even a 3" voice coil 12" unit rated at 6500W. I could be corrected but for now I have no choice but to call BS on this brand. It's also very inefficient (after you correct for the obvious impedance cheat in the specs).

OTOH that B&C IPAL looks very interesting. I think however that we should use the AES figure (AES is a reasonably consistent definition). So we want 4 drivers in the K10 sub, perhaps set up in two isobarik pairs.

Any more thoughts on the type of cabinet? Remember, we can't make it too big to fit through a single doorway.

Ars est celare artem

More
11 years 9 months ago #18808 by bee
Any more thoughts on the type of cabinet? Remember, we can't make it too big to fit through a single doorway.

this rules out any type of horn cab..... could look at reflex or bandpass.... x1 type cab.....

More
11 years 9 months ago #18813 by jsg
How about something like this: www.osmondelectronics.com.au/...TL-4%20EDS.pdf but with four o theB&C 21IPAL drivers that Dref mentioned. That would be 10K AES watts (20K music power). The cab dimensions would be about 4*4*2 feet.

We could make an optional clip-on horn flare, like the F1 infra-horn, that would start at the central square outlet (2*2.5 feet?) and expand to the entire 4*4 feet frontal area. Imagine a big stack of those!

Ars est celare artem

More
11 years 9 months ago #18814 by knet94

jsg wrote: How about something like this: www.osmondelectronics.com.au/...TL-4%20EDS.pdf but with four o theB&C 21IPAL drivers that Dref mentioned. That would be 10K AES watts (20K music power). The cab dimensions would be about 4*4*2 feet.

We could make an optional clip-on horn flare, like the F1 infra-horn, that would start at the central square outlet (2*2.5 feet?) and expand to the entire 4*4 feet frontal area. Imagine a big stack of those!

URL not working for me.

More
11 years 9 months ago #18815 by jsg

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds