Coloured speaker cable?? - Or alternative

• jbinks
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #18740 by jbinks
Hi Guys

I have some speaker cables that are "special".
Typically these are 4-core switchover cables, so 1+1- goes to 2+2- and vice versa.
These are used to link bass speakers (in a 1-way bass setup) so that the bass is supplied by two channels (down 4 cores of an 8-core cable).

These cables are potentially dangerous as if used incorrectly you can cause damage easily.

Is it possible to get RED speaker cable?
Or does anyone have a better solution to this?

Context:
NL8 into MT121 per stack.
NL4 link to first 1850
NL4 link to second 1850
NL4 swap over link to third 1850
NL4 link to forth 1850

This gives me:
1+/- = 2x 1850s bass
2+/- = 2x 1850s bass
3+/- = mid
4+4- = HF

Cheers,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #18742 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Re: Coloured speaker cable?? - Or alternative
I have a number of those types of cables. I just use red heatshrink with Pin Swap written on it at the ends of the cables. (Easier to write on the heatshrink before you put it on the cable and shrink it!!!).

Another way of doing it is making them as very short leads with line sockets on. Does mean you need another short link cable but means the pin swap is unique.

The third way, and the method which will produce the least resistance in cable and Speakon contacts is just to make a break-out cable. One NL4 on one end, then strip the outer cable off the last 2ft at the other end, sleeve as two pairs (or just twist together if you want to be cheap!) and fit a speakon onto each pair. This cable then goes to the middle two subs and you only need two standard short links.

• jbinks
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #18743 by jbinks
Ah! Heatshrink could be a good option!

I also like the idea of the short "extender" and pin-swap cable.

I'll probably go for heatshrink as it should be easy to make it obvious that the cable is special that way!

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #18757 by kevinmcdonough
Replied by kevinmcdonough on topic Re: Coloured speaker cable?? - Or alternative
hey

yeah I do the same, I try and keep all my main speaker cables wired normally (so they can be used for all jobs not just certain ones) and have some short 50cm or so pin swaps, bridging adapters and spiders to split/change/adapt things if needed.

I heatshrink some labels onto them to mark what's what same as chris, and also use different coloured speakon bodies on these for quick recognition when they're in a box/case with other cables and i'm digging through; red for Bridging, green for pin swap, yellow for only two pins wired and normal grey for standard 4 or pins wired as normal (for NL4 and NL8 respectively).

www.electrovision.co.uk/homepage.aspx?sectioncode=018000450020 this kind of thing.

k
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by kevinmcdonough.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds