Q12 System

• Tony Wilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #18600 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Re: Q12 System
Dave, You seem to have got your head around most of the salient points with regards the design.

With regards the metal baffle for me it was a no-brainer, if you look at the design of the driver there is very little basket overhang around the outer edge so to get a nice precise fit on all the holes etc a steel laser was the way.

When you consider these cost about £6 ea to have cut in 8 offs it is a cost effective way of doing it. This method also allows the drivers (Series/Parallel as you asked) to be pre-wired for ease of assembly.

For me the bit I cannot get over and this has been reinforced by the pepes that have heard them is the sheer quality of the output.

The Q12 sub I had no doubt about, that driver has to be heard to be believed, what it can do in a 34-50L box is simply astonishing, it also sounds good up to around 300hz so no problem integrating it with other speakers.

Anyone who is used to listening to bass on 18" drivers would probably be surprised by just how much information can be got out of the bass region with a better quality driver, it ain't all about power.

Even more surprising is the quality of the Faital 3" drivers at the top end, I was expecting a nice soft sound similar to cone tweeters of yore, however non of that they really do sound nice and clean.

Regarding Hi-Fi I have heard nothing in a similar package that gets anywhere near this system with regards output and quality, I keep going down to my listening room (fancy shed) just to have a daily fix so to speak.

Anyway thanks for the interest, my next project is promising to be be even more interesting :)

Tony
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Tony Wilkes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds