Trapizoid Mid Tops

• anjmoor
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18424 by anjmoor
Trapizoid Mid Tops was created by anjmoor
Now that I am getting 2 cubo 15's nearing completion and there are not too many new plans coming up here at the moment is anyone here interested in coming up with a new design? My design skills suck but my wood work is not too bad lol. I would like to see a plan that could be scaled from 12" up to 15" mid with two HF horns. or would it be possible to get two 8" horns as mids and then two hf's? I was thinking these could be designed with todays money issues in mind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thepersonunknown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18432 by thepersonunknown
Replied by thepersonunknown on topic Re: Trapizoid Mid Tops
i would be interested in helping you. ill say from the outset that im by on means an expert or even what one would call an experienced designer, and what im thinking of is not tipical in most diy plans out there, and has had little intrest on the couple of ocasions ive bought it up on here, but even so i think i might have something that might interest you, and you would be the perfect motivation i need to get the show on the road.

tell me a bit more about what your after. my idea is to have a very high efficiency 3 way hornloaded cab to run above cubos (coincidently cubos is my plan, two or 3 per top, although it would work with any sub, which is y i want the 80hz f3 point, a little more fleible than the legendary xtro). 2x 12inch ported straight bph on lows (80hz to 300hz) then a 10inch mid (im working with a modded turbomid from the tms tse range, although others could work, or one could be designed). then a nice one inch comp for tops.

what u think mate?

cheers
dave

• anjmoor
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18434 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Re: Trapizoid Mid Tops
Sounds like a plan, once some ideas start appearing on this thread I am sure some more intrest will be shown from the more experienced here to help guide us

• anjmoor
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #18440 by anjmoor
Well these are not what i was originally thinking of but something slightly different to get the ball rolling. Could do with someone whos in the know to plot it and see what may work with it. Def an odd shape lol
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by anjmoor. Reason: damn smartphones!

• thepersonunknown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18446 by thepersonunknown
Replied by thepersonunknown on topic Re: Trapizoid Mid Tops
ok, i see..... trapizoidal.

im not realy thinking about the same kinda box.

what is the motivation for the rather unique shape. i think its great to try and design your own cabs, but i think you might need to do a bit of reading round first, for example the 2 comps side by side are going to comb filter like hell, and this is quite a basic stumbling block, and what you have drawn here is basicly a reflex box with a funny shape. there are lots of good reflex cabs out n about. have a look around mate, i think you will learn loads, and trust me, its so much better to learn before making a mistake than after.

i hope this advice comes across as helpful. if you have any specific questions then ill be glad to help to the best of my ability
The following user(s) said Thank You: anjmoor

• anjmoor
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18447 by anjmoor
I thought this would throw a spanner in the works but this was just an idea to get the ball rolling, post a sketch here and show me what you had in mind. I get the two hf horns comb filtering although I have found the hf horns to work in this way, I figured that by widening thebox towards the bottom for an odd shape would be different and open up scope for a mid driver to do its job and be differeny

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds