Driver mods and ts params (as posted on SP)

• thepersonunknown
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 11 months ago #18379 by thepersonunknown
Driver mods and ts params (as posted on SP) was created by thepersonunknown
Ok. There has been a lot of intrest with TMS cabs of late. ive got some turbo mid horns floating round which i picked up as part of a slow project a year or so ago. i love the sound of the tms cabs, always have, but i think that they realy could be made to out preform the originals with new drivers.

in particular im thinking about the 10 inch mid horn. the highs are easy enough. we are spoiled for choice for 1 inch comps which out preform the originals (although there was not much wrong with the originals to my ears really, even in the bigun in the TMS3, although the BMS coax im sure would sound better mated to a more modern horn).

some might wonder why i would want to franken box something like this, but in a recent post someone refered to the turbomid of the TMS TSE as both its strength and achilies heel, acting a a sweet sounding phase coherent mid in the critical range of maximum ear sensitiity, but at the same time limiting the max output of the whole system, and given the width of the dispersion, i feel the these cabs are a 2 a side job... max. not much headroom realy. time for 103db, 400w, and may i add sweet sounding drivers to come into play

ive been looking at the 18sound 10NDA610 as the potencial driver to outgun the older turbosound job. the kicks are easy enough to beat me thinks. a nice ported twin straight BPH im sure will be able to do the trick (although im still looking for someone to back that with experience/realworld knowledge), but ive got a couple of questions with regards to the 10 inch.

simming is impresive with this driver, spl, bandwith, and phase (the responce isnt quite as flat, nothing from the undereworld and with a bit of eq shaving off some of the peaks im sure it would smoothen out great without dsp butchery and still have way more spl than the original). the front chamber obvioulsy needs to be a tight fit, which is a bit of the problem for a cone with a dustcap like is the norm.

My first idea was to remould the back of the phaseplug. with a bit of plaster of paris for the negative, and then a bit of glasswork i think even i could do a good job, but i realy dont want to change something which works so well. i did after all hunt these horns down specificaly for their characteristics, and their neither cheep nor common in spain.

i think the eaiest thing would be to invert the dust cap. cut away the existing one, then trim it down to the size of the voice coil and glue it on invered. easy enough job with a bit of care, but it does lead me to ask a question.

how would lowering the mms in this way affect the rest of th TS params. i dont think it would make a huge difference, but then again i dont know. i imagine fs would go up a little, i imagine Qms would tighten?? also sd would be a little smaler right..... does anyone know how i cam make an estimate of the effects of shrinking and inverting the dustcap on a driver.

cheers
dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds