Inductors & L Pad resistors

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1556 by markie
Inductors & L Pad resistors was created by markie
Two questions in one thread, all part of my ongoing quest for knowlege about passive crossovers.

1). What diameter wire should I be using for inductors. I bought 1.2mm but eminence seem to use about 0.9mm on their crossovers, which (obviously is a lot lighter and cheaper.

2). Resistors for L pads. Resistors seem to only come in certain values 1R8, 2R2, 3R3, 3R9, 4R7, 5R6, 6R8, etc, so is it simply a case of using the nearest value available for L Pads. For example a 3dB pad requires a 2.4ohm and a 20 ohm. The nearest available values are 2R2 and 22R, so will they do the job??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1557 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic Inductors & L Pad resistors
Mark,
With inductors there is no one suitable size for the wire. It is preferable to keep the resistance of the coil to no more than 10% of the driver value. So for a typical 8 ohm driver try to keep the coil below 0.8 ohms. So you will need to know the resistance of the wire used per metre and do a little maths.

This can be relaxed on comp drivers where L-pads are used as long as the overall effect is measured.

With resisters I use the the nearest available value to the one calculated. If you are worried that it needs to be more accurate the make the adjustments using further parallel or series components .

Tony

Edited by: AJW

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 10 months ago #1592 by steve_b
Replied by steve_b on topic Inductors & L Pad resistors
There is lots of good information on the Elliott Sound Products web page. The link takes you to the main articles index. The one you want is passive crossovers. Take care not to get distracted. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

More
15 years 10 months ago #1605 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Inductors & L Pad resistors
Regarding values, you will find that, as the change in effect is very gradual, when it comes to caps, coils and resistors, it won't matter if the values are a little bit out. Once you start to know how to play with the parts, you can make things very flat. When you wind a coils for instance, if you are supposed to wind 300 turns, it won't matter whether it turns out to be 295 turns or 305. When it comes to the sound you will never hear the difference. The same goes for resistors. Caps are a tiny bit more sensitive. one mic. may produce an audible in the hf region, but lower down would have less effect.
In the end it's knowing what matters and what doesn't that's important.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1675 by markie
Replied by markie on topic Inductors & L Pad resistors
Thanks for the input guys. I've been working on building my own coil winder. I found a couple of hand wound ones on the net but they were about £400.00 and obviously the motor driven ones are more.

I started with one based around an old hand drill......... went on to a cordless drill and am now on the Mk 5 version based on a foot controlled sewing machine motor. I still need to gear it down more and that will involve making a longer drive belt, but when/if I get it finished I'll post some pics.Edited by: markie

More
15 years 10 months ago #1680 by tony.a.s.s.
Markie, I paid £600.00 for mine after I designed the Spektra range. David at Volt supplied me at first but I needed them on tap, so I had to get one. Mine is based on a sewing machine stand. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them. So you can compare. It's a great machine.

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1700 by markie
Tony I'd be really interested to see your pics.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1844 by tony.a.s.s.
Markie, here's the pics of my coil winder. Enjoy. Did you know there is a mag called coil winder monthly. It's a riveting read.

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

More
15 years 10 months ago #1852 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Inductors & L Pad resistors
i know a man with one of those! he builds transformers for a living.

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1859 by markie
Wow, serious piece of kit. I'll post some pics of my DIY effort when it's finished.

COIL WINDER MONTHLY.............. YOU'RE 'AVIN A LAUGH

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds