Starting Out and Horn Theory - by Bjorn Kolbrek

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 weeks ago #12880 by Reverb
Hi Members,

I did not have any success on the PA for Dummies forum so I thought I would continue on with my initial question but a little more in depth.

I went to the "White Papers / Design Books" section of this web page and briefly read "Horn Theory Parts 1 and 2 by Bjorn Kolbrek. Absolutely amazing amount of information all backed by sources. Thank you Bjorn.

The problem is this info is way too advanced for me. I will continue to read and re-read but was wondering if any can help point the way to another web site, link or book that describes Horn theory and construction on a more practical level. Once I get a grasp I will better begin to understand Bjorn Kolbrek's detailed Horn Theory.

I have a large PA system I utilize for my band. I operate the system in Tri-amp mode using a Rane 23 rack mount crossover. My low and mid cabinets are not horns. I'd like to construct smaller cabinets utilizing horn construction. I have a wood shop and also have experience in electronics and speaker reconing. Thus I am not a stranger to the area of speaker design.

However I understand the math involved in horn construction is essential, but it can also be rather intimidating and a road block to moving forward. Is there a book, web site or link that can point the way towards a more user-friendly approach for someone starting out?

I understand I could simply go with a set of plans which is not a bad start and that is the route I will begin to venture upon but I don’t like flying blind and prefer to understand what and why I am building a specific design. Basic computer software that helps input formulas and designs is also of major interest. Software that is affordable for starters would also be helpful.

I have many books on building loudspeaker cabinets and was wondering if the formulas that are used in these books also apply to Pro Audio Cabinet design as well?

For example, I own:

Building Speaker Systems by Gordon McComb
Building Speaker Enclosures by David Weems
Advanced Speaker Systems by Ray Alden
Building Pro Audio Loudspeaker Enclosures by Jeff Forsburg

I have studied the science of sound, musicology, tuning theory and music theory for years as it is one of my favorite areas of study.

I understand that it is important to learn the most basic formulas that are presented in these books but wanted to know if the information can also be applied to the world of Pro Audio PA Cabinet Design? The Pro Audio/PA system world has its own lingo as well. Most of it I am familiar with but need a non-intimidating place to start and learn all the required info.

This web site is certainly a great place to start and I would appreciate any other web sites or books that can connect me with all the sources of info out there.

Thank you and be well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #12894 by bee
for me when i started to learn about horns, and the whys etc, I started with sim software, and played around with a script for a proven design. Then changed parts of the script to see what would happen and why...... hornresp is a free software, and akabak is another great programme but takes alot longer to get the basics....

The link to horn resp is below it free to use.

www.hornresp.net.ms/

below is the basic script for horn resp for the usb

Single usb
s1= 825.60
s2=877,2
con=13
s3=1210
con=20.5
s4=2770
con=33.5

vrc=46.5
lrc=22.7
fr=0
tal=0
vtc=31205
atc=2100

hope this helps..... the other thing you can do its just ask...... there are so many people on this site that are very very helpfull and know there stuff, and more often than not can give help in a non jargon way.....

and welcome to the forum.....

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #13046 by Reverb
Hey Thanks Bee

Appreciate the help. I already downloaded hornresp and trying to figure out where to start. I posted another question under "HornResp Newbie" today. Hopefully I get someone to help with the most basics of hornresp.

Thanks again.

More
11 years 11 months ago #18448 by mhtplsh

bee wrote: for me when i started to learn about horns, and the whys etc, I started with sim software, and played around with a script for a proven design. Then changed parts of the script to see what would happen and why...... hornresp is a free software, and akabak is another great programme but takes alot longer to get the basics....

The link to horn resp is below it free to use.

www.hornresp.net.ms/

below is the basic script for horn resp for the usb

Single usb
s1= 825.60
s2=877,2
con=13
s3=1210
con=20.5
s4=2770
con=33.5

vrc=46.5
lrc=22.7
fr=0
tal=0
vtc=31205
atc=2100

hope this helps..... the other thing you can do its just ask...... there are so many people on this site that are very very helpfull and know there stuff, and more often than not can give help in a non jargon way.....

and welcome to the forum.....

Is thia input data for the USB cabinet as per the attachment?
There are two drivers & sectiona in this.
Attachments:

More
11 years 11 months ago #18449 by bee
thats correct, this sim was for half of the usb, you then need to add a second cabinet in horns resp to get the final plot.... you can do this by adding another cab using the multiple speaker option....

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds