Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1021 by
I just had to point this out...

Someone on SP just deleted the thread "admins and Mods wanted".. as I was just about to post a reply...

Bruce had just posted that PMs could not be read by the admin team.. and that only he had access to the PMs...

Here's the reply :

Funny...

Alex's post clearly stating that Tony was banned becuase of the content of his PMs & how the PM database was too largeetc etchas disappeared.. how strange!... I'll cut and paste from the copy I have :

"Originally posted by laxskan

Whilst trying to reduce the size of the speakerplans database we noticed a very high number of PM, 90% of which we regarding selling, and Im afaid almost all Tony PM were regarding selling of some description."

Sooo... HMMMMM... not reading PMs ay? How does one explain that post then?

Infact, looking at the posts from Alex, Rog and Bruce since Alex's orignal post... it looks like your all on a damage limitation excersise really... back-tracking massively on almost everything that was originaly said.

How odd that thread disappeared!
Edited by: Adambomb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1025 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!
interresting part:
Author: Lasse Lukkari
Subject: Admin and Moderators Wanted
Posted: 02 June 2008 at 10:20am

Originally posted by bruce

If you moved the forum across to Unix Platform you would loose everything that is currently on the forum.

Originally posted by Lasse Lukkari

I have a script ready here that could convert the current board to phpbb3. Passwords would be reseted and private messages lost but all posts and users would be transfered.

Originally posted by bruce

All this stuff about Private Messages being read is a load ofrubbish. The SQL Server database is behind a £3,000 corporate firewallthat doesn't allow remote connections, so even if Rog or Alex knew whatan SQL Server database was they don't have access to it anyway. Only mycompany has access to the database on our network and as our databaseservers have many 100's of Web Wiz Forums databases running, withprobally 1,000's of PM's sent everyday, would not have any reason towant to read any of the 1,000's of Private Massages that pass throughand stored on our systems.

It wouldn't take more that 5 mins to write script that would show all the private messages by selected users and you are a lot better programmer than I am. I can do a demonstration if needed.

If the site gets so much traffic it should be easy to cover the costs with advertisements like they have on PSW.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
15 years 10 months ago #1026 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!
Author: bruce
Subject: Admin and Moderators Wanted
Posted: 02 June 2008 at 10:26am

OK my mistake you could convert to PhpBB, but then allot of people wouldn't be able to login. The amount of bounced back forum notifications that go through the mail servers from this site suggests that allot of people don't have correct email addresses so would be forced to rsignup.

Also PhpBB isn't as secure and if you have an issue with the forum software you would need to post a question and hope that you get a response, at least using our Web Wiz Forums software it is maintained by the developers and any issues with the forum software are sorted out within hours not weeks.

At present this site is using a custom version of Web Wiz Forums, and version 10 is currently being developed which will add allot more functionality and new tools, like blogs.

and then nothing ?

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
15 years 10 months ago #1027 by Lasse Lukkari
Replied by Lasse Lukkari on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!
It was deleted right after i said i can convert the board to use phpbb3 if a unix compatible forum software is needed. Bruce said all information would be lost...

I also made an offer to demonstrate how easy it would be to write a script that would show all private messages by selected usernames. Bruce said it woulnd't be easy/possible.

And by the way. Do you still remember when the board got hacked a couple of years ago... Talk about security. Once the forum is converted to phpbb it would be easy to convert it to any other software too because phpbb is so popular.

Edited by: Lasse Lukkari

More
15 years 10 months ago #1028 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!

Adambomb wrote:
How odd that thread disappeared!

Not odd at all really, especially as someoneput my name forward as a moderator..

I was told a long time ago PMs on SP were not private, and that Rog and others were reading certain members PMs.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1029 by
Replied by on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!
The more stuff like this they do, the more pissed off I get.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1030 by
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

This site is really funny, it's a bit like squat juice but with loads of bitching

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1031 by
Hi Bruce!

More
15 years 10 months ago #1035 by Lasse Lukkari
Replied by Lasse Lukkari on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!

bruce wrote:
All this stuff about Private Messages being read is a load ofrubbish. The SQL Server database is behind a £3,000 corporate firewallthat doesn't allow remote connections

And what kind of firewall is that? Wouldn't it be easier just disconnect it from the public Internet.
Edited by: Lasse Lukkari

More
15 years 10 months ago #1040 by toastyghost
Replied by toastyghost on topic Admin and Mods Wanted.. GONE!

Lasse Lukkari wrote:

bruce wrote: All this stuff about Private Messages being read is a load ofrubbish. The SQL Server database is behind a £3,000 corporate firewallthat doesn't allow remote connections

And what kind of firewall is that? Wouldn't it be easier just disconnect it from the public Internet.

Three grand? Sounds like a Fortigate to me.

Wouldn't expect any respectable server admin to tell random visitors what firewall they were actually using mind, that's just bad security practice.

I did spot that it had been deleted, because I was posting a response as well. However I think that it could have quickly turned into bitching and it was essentially asking the same thing that Rog had already asked for in his own thread.

To be honest, if this place is going to be griping about what is essentially a competitor for members' attention and input, it's not going to give a great impression to new signups and could end up very cliquey and stagnant very quickly.

A bit more professionalism wouldn't go amiss [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: toastyghost

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds