file BMS equivalent to B&C DE25/DE250

11 years 9 months ago #18572 by levyte357
BMS equivalent to B&C DE25/DE250 was created by levyte357
Hi Tony,

What can you suggest/supply for approx < £70 that competes with the above 2x drivers?

Priority is response close to the above, 9-16K.

Also, is there a cheap 1" plastic/pvc version of the B&C ME45 1" horn ?

Thought I saw you recommending one.

Cheers

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #18575 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Re: BMS equivalent to B&C DE25/DE250
The driver I would recommend would be the 4544 which is perfectly happy crossing as low as 1.3K with the right wave-guide.

A decent budget horn is the Celestion H1-9040P although if crossing >1.5K is low enough then I would recommend the Faital STH100, good value and also nicely cast Ali, a bit more expensive but IMHO worth it.

Tony

11 years 9 months ago #18578 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Re: BMS equivalent to B&C DE25/DE250
Thanks for that.

I'll be crossing into the 1" unit way above 2K, so low xover not needed, but need horn/driver solution that is very strong 10K+ like DE25+ME45.

11 years 9 months ago #18579 by Tony Wilkes
You need to do more research on horn types and their effect on the Measured FR with regards dispersion, you are comparing apples with pears.

11 years 9 months ago #18580 by levyte357

Tony Wilkes wrote: You need to do more research on horn types and their effect on the Measured FR with regards dispersion, you are comparing apples with pears.

OK.

So overall, which horn would you say will extract the best HF performance from the 4544.

Have looked at numerous FR graphs for 1" comps with horns, but still haven't found something that on average outperformed the B&C drivers.

11 years 9 months ago #18581 by Tony Wilkes
That is because most FR's are shown on a CD horn which inevitably has a roll of with increasing frequency. This is an unfortunate side effect of the constant directionality geometry of the Horn.

The B&C horn has an exponential flare that allows a flatter response on-axis but suffers a larger drop off axis at higher frequencies.

I use the two 1" horns made by Faital on most of my projects at the moment. The one I would recommend for the 4544 is the LTH102 which is an awful lot of well made horn for the money. If this has an acceptable dispersion then I doubt that better can be obtained at this price.

These have a Tractrix profile. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker#Tractrix

11 years 9 months ago #18582 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Re: BMS equivalent to B&C DE25/DE250
The majority of the horns/waveguides on the market are either constant directivity or very similar. As Tony says, their response drops off at 6dB/oct. The good news is that all processors have a 6dB/oct high shelf available (even the old Super-X pro had a button for it!) to correct for this. When you're working with large format compression drivers this becomes even more important to take account of. I normally find a 6dB/oct high shelf, set to about 6kHz and gain of 6-9dB flattens most large CD flares out. For a 1" you can probably move the frequency up to more like 8-10kHz and use less gain.

It is also possible on a passive crossover to bypass the L-Pad with a small capacitor to achieve the same result.

Ultimately the only way you'll settle this is to get both CD's in front of you, stick them on the same flare and test with RTA/ears.

11 years 9 months ago #18583 by levyte357

chaudio wrote:
Ultimately the only way you'll settle this is to get both CD's in front of you, stick them on the same flare and test with RTA/ears.

Might have to do that.

Moderators: Tony Wilkes