file the 2 ways of a 3way

12 years 8 months ago #14514 by bitzo
the 2 ways of a 3way was created by bitzo
Hi all,
I want to know your opinion about a 3way reagge rig. What do you prefer an all bass cabs crossed at 150hz at least or a proper sub with mids crossed at 90hz? Also, would be so nice to describe what cabs and driver for those 2 options but I know it's a bit too much ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #14515 by saul
Replied by saul on topic the 2 ways of a 3way
dedicated subs, no question.

4 or 5 way is my preference

12 years 8 months ago #14518 by bee
Replied by bee on topic the 2 ways of a 3way
minimum 4 way......

hf
high mid
kick
sub

5 way if you want piezos......

i think 3 way you will be crossing over in the mid kick area, running subs up that high wont sound so good, and running the high mid down too low.......

12 years 8 months ago #14520 by saul
Replied by saul on topic the 2 ways of a 3way

bee wrote: 5 way if you want piezos......

had something else in mind smiley16

12 years 8 months ago #14529 by Gee136
Replied by Gee136 on topic the 2 ways of a 3way
We run our reflex system 2ways, which consist of x4 double 18"fane xb loaded cabs, & x2 double 15's with 1 & 1/2" horns, that's in one section, our 1 box section is good for upto 300 to 350 peps no problem, if we don't broadcast the fact that we play 2way, people will automatically assume it's a 3way soundsystem, & another thing we are a reggae roots soundsystem, that can keep up with any sound in a indoor venue!!!

It all depends on what you require from your soundsystem, people will always inject their views (nothing wrong with this), but in my experience you should experiment with different arrangements & see what is right for you............. smiley20

Our soundsystem is very practical, this was one of the advantages of why the sound was built as 2 ways, setting up for us is 30mins with 1 box section & packed in the van in 20mins!! & still be able to shake up the venue, many are surprised @ out set, due to the size, it looks small (6 boxes maximum in a section), but it is still very effective indoors!!, @ present we've got plans to play outdoors, so this is where practically comes into play............. he he...

Peace............................ smiley4

12 years 8 months ago #14530 by bee

12 years 8 months ago #14532 by Gee136

bee wrote: Is your tops run passive......

Electro Voice Iforce 25 cabs, with special custom built crossover................ smiley14

Peace................... smiley4

12 years 8 months ago #14534 by bee
Replied by bee on topic the 2 ways of a 3way
nice....... so in a way your system is run 3 way. Very nice sounding tops....... smiley20 smiley33 i guess this is one way of running 3 way..... gee where do you cross them over......

12 years 8 months ago #14535 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic the 2 ways of a 3way

bitzo wrote: Hi all,
I want to know your opinion about a 3way reagge rig. What do you prefer an all bass cabs crossed at 150hz at least or a proper sub with mids crossed at 90hz? Also, would be so nice to describe what cabs and driver for those 2 options but I know it's a bit too much ;)

Just noticed you mentioned x/o at 90hz. If you have sub bass, you must have bass, and when you use this way, make sure you overlap the sub with the bass and time align them.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

12 years 8 months ago #14536 by Gee136

bee wrote: nice....... so in a way your system is run 3 way. Very nice sounding tops....... smiley20 smiley33 i guess this is one way of running 3 way..... gee where do you cross them over......

We're running our soundsystem off a 3way Mostec Pre amp, the mids & tops are linked over on the pre amp, our system is based on the weight & treble philosophy, so there's no kick bass boxes present on our set, strictly cris clear mids & tops & our reflex sub bass 40hz is what our preference is smiley2

Mids is maybe crossed @ 140hz"ish tops maybe 4.5zh'ish, but then again it's all about juggling the pre amp to achieve the sound we want smiley36

Peace........................ smiley4

Moderators: levyte357