Wiring speaker for the t.amp Proline 300

• willmerboehm
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #23955 by willmerboehm
Wiring speaker for the t.amp Proline 300 was created by willmerboehm
Hi,

I own a the "t.amp Proline 3000" and with that i power 4 "Fane Colossus 18XB-8 Ohm", 2 per Channel (parallel) which give me 4 Ohm per Channel.

I now wondering if it is possible to ad 2 more "Fane Colossus 18XB", 1 per Channel, so that i'll play at 2 Ohm per Channel?

t.amp Proline 3000:
2x 1500 W at 4 ohm
2x 1100 W at 8 ohm
2x 1800 W at 2 ohm
m.thomann.de/gb/tamp_proline_3000.htm

Fane Colossus 18XB-8 Ohm:
m.thomann.de/se/fane_colossus_18xb.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #23963 by totalAudio
Replied by totalAudio on topic Wiring speaker for the t.amp Proline 300
yes you can do that but no i would not suggest it. your amp should really have more power then the rms of the speaker so if you ran 4 fanes a side you would get no more sound or maybe even less sound as each driver would be majorly under powered. either buy another proline or get a bigger amp to run 4 per side.

hope this helps

• willmerboehm
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #23964 by willmerboehm
Replied by willmerboehm on topic Wiring speaker for the t.amp Proline 300
Okey thanks.

Can you help me understand what happen with the RMS when speakers are wired in parallel? I have never knew what will happen, are the RMS increasing or will it stay the same as one speaker?

For example:
Two 1000Rms, 8Ohm subwoofer in parallel = 2000Rms, 4Ohm

Or

Two 1000Rms, 8Ohm subwoofer in parallel = 1000Rms, 4Ohm

More
6 years 9 months ago #24010 by jedaberg
Replied by jedaberg on topic Wiring speaker for the t.amp Proline 300

willmerboehm wrote: Okey thanks.

Can you help me understand what happen with the RMS when speakers are wired in parallel? I have never knew what will happen, are the RMS increasing or will it stay the same as one speaker?

For example:
Two 1000Rms, 8Ohm subwoofer in parallel = 2000Rms, 4Ohm

Or

Two 1000Rms, 8Ohm subwoofer in parallel = 1000Rms, 4Ohm

Two parallel subwoofers 1000W 8Ohm will give a load of 2000W on 4Ohm.

And putting 4 Fane's on one channel of your amplifier will add 6 dB more SPL. But the power send to one Fane will be less, i.e. 450 W instead of 750 W, which is a decrease of about 2.2 dB. Your total gain will therefore only be 3.8 dB.
Mind you, this is a theoretical value, it is probably less (< 3 dB). Thereby the sound quality will decrease because the amplifier has to take control over now 8 huge speakers instead of four. A real 'tour de force'
Buying a second amplifier will give you, with the same four speakers (two speakers put on one amplifier in bridged mode = 1800 W / speaker) a gain of 3.8 dB. Taking power-compression in account, the total gain will be < 3 dB.

But both options give you less then 3 dB gain, which is IMHO not worth the investment, but the 'second amplifier' choice would the one I would go for if necessary.
Only doubling your complete set (speakers and amplifiers) will give a noticeable 6 dB gain.

Moderators: Pasi
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds