file New amp idea

12 years 9 months ago #13738 by Sinfinity
Replied by Sinfinity on topic New amp idea
The environmental chamber is an interesting idea. 20 amps sitting on soak test would heat it quite nicely.

The bridged amp was run in a test, for 8 hours this last Wednesday. Photos of the structural damage they caused during the first hour are on the facebook page:) The amps ran fine. Still looking forward to having a chat with Heathrow though.

That picture of a pc heatsink shows some pipes running from the main sink into the extruded part with the fins. These tubes allow phasechange cooling to take place, effectively wicking heat from the core and putting onto the fins to allow the fan to cool it. The watercooling option for the pc would involve a much smaller heatsink, with water running through it. There would be no fan directly on the heatsink, the fan moves elsewhere along with a rad to dissipate the heat. ( I know some people who have used car radiators).

The water cooling does add an element of danger. I have seen some machines cooled by submersing them in chilled oil, others using refridgerators and chillers to get water cooling to a new level, and the coldest option of all ( for a day to day rig, which is why I have omitted liquid nitrogen ) uses r404a directly into an evaporator head that sits ontop of the cpu.

www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1793

Upside, machine overclocks well.
Downside, noisy, consumes more power, something else to go wrong ( have to check hermatic seal around evaporator head to ensure condensation does not kill your pc )

I know about the prommy solution, I used one for over a year.
I now like simple solutions, and therefore have a stock cooled pc which runs fast enough for me to surf the interweb and write emails.

Sorry for going off topic, pics of that pc cooler brought back memories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #13739 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic New amp idea
the pic was just a random one i found, i have seen better ones but couldnt track one down.

my old it bod at work had the quad core processor for my cad pc out once and thats where i got the idea from

no real point in water or oil cooling things

Sinfinity wrote: The environmental chamber is an interesting idea. 20 amps sitting on soak test would heat it quite nicely.

you misunderstand

you run the environmental chamber up to say 30 deg c, then put the amp in and run it full power until the test is complete [say 24hours] or the amp fails

ask the boss to explain it to you

these type of tests are usually destructive tests, so you test until the amp fails or stop when you think the amp will never fail

its the only way things get improved

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

12 years 9 months ago #13740 by Sinfinity

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: the pic was just a random one i found, i have seen better ones but couldnt track one down.

my old it bod at work had the quad core processor for my cad pc out once and thats where i got the idea from

no real point in water or oil cooling things

Sinfinity wrote: The environmental chamber is an interesting idea. 20 amps sitting on soak test would heat it quite nicely.

you misunderstand

you run the environmental chamber up to say 30 deg c, then put the amp in and run it full power until the test is complete [say 24hours] or the amp fails

I did understand, I promise :)
I was suggesting heating the chamber before the amps test with the output from the 20 amps on soak test. Even on a cold morning would not take long :)

12 years 9 months ago #13741 by heathrow_b_line
another quick one for you matt - the xt0004 manual on the website seems to show a drawing of the rear of the amp with no stereo/bridge/para switch

i assume this is a mistake that needs to be corrected?

you are also missing figure 8 from the description

is this intentional or should there be a switch?

edit; or can you only bridge the xt0004eq range???

12 years 9 months ago #13742 by Sinfinity

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: another quick one for you matt - the xt0004 manual on the website seems to show a drawing of the rear of the amp with no stereo/bridge/para switch

i assume this is a mistake that needs to be corrected?

you are also missing figure 8 from the description

is this intentional or should there be a switch?

edit; or can you only bridge the xt0004eq range???

Hi there,
The ***4 eq models have the bridge, para, stereo switches.
The ***4 models have no switches. We were asked to produce them by some clients who wanted a plain amp channel to run from an LMS.

I will look into figure 8 smiley1 Thankyou for the heads up.
Please send me your phone number to the email address matt @ matrixamplification dot com. I have some information for you.

Cheers
Matrix

12 years 9 months ago #13743 by heathrow_b_line
i see.

so to bridge it you have to get the XT X004 EQ range

you should probably prrof read the leaflet you were handing out at the amp meet as some of the specs may need updating.

for example: the xt1000 and xt2000 manual say its got one fan but the leaflet and website state there are two fans???

i was only skim reading so there are probably more things to pick on - a nice job for a bank holiday monday for you!

i dont really wish to get into any 'amp politics' as i am a weekend warrior type audio bod, but if you want to you can send me a pm on here

edit: would it be an idea to make the xt 0004 range obsolete and just sell the xt 000xeq? it would probably be more cost effective to produce 3 models in stead of 6

look at the beauty/simplicity powersoft use. very clever stuff - same amp but unlocked with a chip

12 years 9 months ago #13744 by Sinfinity

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: i see.

so to bridge it you have to get the XT X004 EQ range

you should probably prrof read the leaflet you were handing out at the amp meet as some of the specs may need updating.

for example: the xt1000 and xt2000 manual say its got one fan but the leaflet and website state there are two fans???

i was only skim reading so there are probably more things to pick on - a nice job for a bank holiday monday for you!

i dont really wish to get into any 'amp politics' as i am a weekend warrior type audio bod, but if you want to you can send me a pm on here

No politics im afraid, just heatsink discussion.
Going to look at specs now. Its amazing that you can look so closely at something, for so long, that you dont see it anymore smiley5

12 years 9 months ago #13746 by heathrow_b_line
some companies have a rule that if you actioned the job you cant check/approve it for this reason

also you need to sit down and decide whether the naming structure is working as calling everything 'xt' may mean you run out of numbers down the line

you should think when the ab amps have there on prefix as there popularity increases you will add to the ab range

edit: why did you call the amps with the crossovers 'eq'. i thought they might have had a eq as well but the manual doesnt show it.

12 years 9 months ago #13748 by Sinfinity

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: some companies have a rule that if you actioned the job you cant check/approve it for this reason

also you need to sit down and decide whether the naming structure is working as calling everything 'xt' may mean you run out of numbers down the line

you should think when the ab amps have there on prefix as there popularity increases you will add to the ab range

edit: why did you call the amps with the crossovers 'eq'. i thought they might have had a eq as well but the manual doesnt show it.

We made a split between the class G amps and the class AB by adding the G on the end of the names for the class G amps. Everything else is AB. There are no further models planned for the XT range, the screens have already been made for all of the names that we shall need to print.

The 'eq' was a choice made by 5 persons that were asked at the time whether they preferred 'eq' or 'xo' Though it is possible to high / low pass the channels there is no equaliser on that model.

Look forward to catching up at the next meet.

Cheers
Matt

12 years 9 months ago #13749 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic New amp idea
all the big powerful lasers are water cooled

Moderators: matrix ampSinfinity