12/15 2 way full range for home/band

• rickety
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #23801 by rickety
12/15 2 way full range for home/band was created by rickety
Hi,

I'm looking to build a pair of mid sized full range PA speakers. Main use will for home practice/rehersal - putting vocals. guitar, synth, drum machine etc through.
I don't have a separate electric guitar amp at present (not ideal), and also want to mic up/wire in acoustic. So these need to have everything chucked through them - with the inevitable compromises that implies.

Later I might look at adding in separate bass bin and/or using in small rooms for concerts (up to 50 people). However for now mostly for just messing about at home with a couple of people.

For now will be driven with an old Peavey MP600 mixer amp: assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/mp600_04.pdf
150W into 8 Ohm / 200W in 4

I'm a very competent woodworker / DIY electrician so I'm happy to take on a challenging design if the acoustics pay off
Budget: GBP 300 - 400 (USD 350-500) for all materials etc.

I've looked at various plans. On here I guess on option is a simple 1x12" version of SMT212 design, which some people have made?

However I'm tempted to just go with this simple Celestion design and the drivers they recommend: celestion.com/speakerworld/patech/1/123/...inch_Ported_Cabinet/

Thoughts on this? Can anyone suggest other designs I should be looking at?

Thanks

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #23806 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic 12/15 2 way full range for home/band
Personally, on that budget, I wouldn't look into building cabinets, as the market is flooded with half decent 12"/1" cabinets at that price.

On 150 - 200 W that Celestion design looks good but on higher power levels it might not be the best choice. However I doubt that most products on the market will have better components at that price, which makes it actually a decent choice.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: rickety

• rickety
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #23823 by rickety
Replied by rickety on topic 12/15 2 way full range for home/band
Thanks, I figured might be cheaper to buy new or second hand. However I'm after a project so think I'll go for these unless anyone else has an alternative suggestion.

Cheers

Rick

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds