file BR vs HORN

9 years 1 week ago #22639 by sn95
BR vs HORN was created by sn95
My question is at what point do you think that the extra extension of a port box outweighs the increase efficiency of a horn box for outdoors ? I was at a recently outdoor event the system was made up of dual 18 BR sub 3 per side and in my opinion lacked pressure compared to a set of scoop,s . Is 20 or so Hz,s worth the extra amp,s and speaker,s ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #22642 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic BR vs HORN
"My question is at what point do you think that the extra extension of a port box outweighs the increase efficiency of a horn box for outdoors"

One of my commercial horns I designed has a cutoff of 27Hz, another of my commercial designs that is a double 18" reflex that has a cutoff of 36Hz. The horn design is only slightly larger than the reflex, so where is the extra extension from the reflex?

The reverse can also be true. You could design a horn with a cutoff of 80Hz and a reflex cab with a 25Hz cutoff. But the 80Hz horn would be 4 times smaller than the reflex. Having a port doesn't automatically mean lower extension. You will be stupid to do it, but you could tune a port to 500Hz if you wanted too.

Size for size, and if you can use enough, I'll take the horn loaded cab everyday. This includes scoops as they are a horn too. Why, because the output is radiated from a much larger area at low frequencies. Its like comparing a massive 2 meter diameter pipe carrying water to a small hose pipe. Yeah the hose pipe if pointed at you will sting a bit, but stand at the end of the 2 meter pipe and if you live, you going to get a big medical bill.

A port can be over 60 times small than the surface area of most bass horns mouths, and yeah, people might say you can move as much air in the port as it will have higher velocity, but that's like saying a 50cc moped can out run a 1000cc bike because its piston is moving faster. There's no replacement for displacement when it comes to shoveling air. There is a another saying you will hear a lot on astronomy forums, aperture is king.

Rog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: THK Music

9 years 1 week ago #22643 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic BR vs HORN
Thank,s Rog for replying to my question .

If I had a horn that would do 27 hz,s it would not be a question but because of my lack of designing ability I have to build off plans that are published which for the most part appear to be 40 to 50 HR,s cut off .

So to me even with they're short coming,s the output outweigh,s the additional expense of amplifiers and drivers .
But this coming of someone with very little experience that,s why my question .

Btw Can you or are you willing to provide a basic layout of your horn ?
Driver configuration 12 , 15 ,18 , 21 , one or two per enclosure ?
Outside dimension,s ?

If you can't I totally understand that it is a Commercial Product .

Once more Thank,s Rod