how much power to run my big 3way cabs

• wingnut
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #22589 by wingnut
Hi, I found a couple of large 3way cabs in a skip 15yrs ago. 15" bass, 6" mid enclosed at back and 3" tweeters each cab rated at 175watts r.m.s. Over the yrs I have blown out first the bass then mid finally the top. I replaced the bass with eminence 350watt 8ohm bass, the mid with fein sovereign 6" 100watts and the top with intimidation titanium bullets 350 watts along with 400 watt 8ohm cross overs, I fitted capacitors specified by henrys pa shop for protection to mid and top. I would like to know what power they need. Do I use 350watts 8ohms r.m.s per cab or do I need to add the sum of the bass mid and top and does this alter the ohms. I currentley use a phonic 1500 which gives 280w r.m.s at 80hm in stereo mode per channel
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by wingnut. Reason: omission

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #22612 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic how much power to run my big 3way cabs
Hi wing nut I would run it at sum + 3 dB,s or double the RMS , More important is that you are not clipping your amp
The following user(s) said Thank You: wingnut

• wingnut
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #22613 by wingnut
Replied by wingnut on topic how much power to run my big 3way cabs
Hi sn95, thanks for taking the time to post a reply, I don't fully understand ur response but get the jist, I've aquired a peavey cs1000 that I'm hoping will be more suited, and using the phonic for a pair of 10" 2way boxs rated at at 175watts r.m.s each. I've always kept d.j.s away from the amp, never ran it hard, and had high pass filter turned on at 50htz. they've never clipped. I'm looking to buy an 18" sub and another 1000watt amp for that, I will be buying a crossover as well, will this protect the drvers from damaging frequencies

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds