First build 18" G-sub, could use help

• alan_linn
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #21696 by alan_linn
First build 18" G-sub, could use help was created by alan_linn
Hi, this is my first build, i came at this with no experience whatsoever, most reading i did just lead to more questions so i just decided to start building and learn as i went. i decided to build this g-sub www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub
its built now and im deciding what drivers to buy, could i get away with buying cheaper drivers than say the fane collosus 18 xb? for example these are 18" and 1000w like the fane

www.amazon.co.uk/Pyle-Pro-PPA18-1000w-Pr...bwoofer+driver+1000w

if anyone could help by posting any cheaper drivers that pack about the same power, im not too fussed about quality in comparison. or if anyone has any tips about what i should be looking for in drivers that would be great.

on another note i will need to build speakers to go with the G-Sub and im sort of at a loss as to what to do? My friend told me that highs/tops speakers can literally just be a box with two holes in them for the drivers because they dont need the air pass stuff that subwoofers need. is this true, does anyone know what kind of box or boxes i should be building to go with the g-sub and does anyone know mids/ highs drivers that i should be buying that would go with an 18" gsub. if anyone has any answers to these questions i would be eternally grateful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21701 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic First build 18" G-sub, could use help
To say the tops can just be a box with two holes in it is a drastic oversimplification. The tuning of the box will depend on the volume of the enclosure and the length and area of the vents. It is possible to design a box to have the vent length be the thickness of the baffle, but you need the volume to be correctly calculated or your just throwing darts at a target with a blindfold. Mid tops require some precision. The box you put a compdriver horn combo in is not fussy because those are sealed behind and the box is just a superficial package. The cone driver (unless it is also a sealed back driver) will be affected greatly by the box size, shape, vent and lining material.

As for the G Sub, any driver you put in there will make noise, but the frequency response, sensitivity, Power handling and driver excursion will vary greatly. I would not pay for cheap drivers and then regret it. (well not anymore, I have done it before ;) ) If you are building a nice sub, it is kind of a shame to put in a substandard driver. Really you can just buy a bargain basement loaded enclosure for less money and certainly less effort. If you are going for a different driver than suggested, try to find one that is recommended for a similar volume and vent. Much easier to design a cabinet to fit a driver than to find a cheap driver to fit an enclosure designed for another driver with very different T/S specs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alan_linn

• alan_linn
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #21709 by alan_linn
Replied by alan_linn on topic First build 18" G-sub, could use help
thanks alot mate, yeh i think i will go for the recommended drivers for the g-sub. might as well make it all worth while. the thing im having trouble with now is finding a mid/high combination that would match the g sub with 18" fane collosus drivers. I really don't know much about building or specifications at all, with the g sub plan it was just like following instructions how big everything was supposed to be and which drivers to use. What im at a loss with is figuring out which mid/high speaker or speakers would go with the 18" g-sub, with regards to power and sound. im not sure how much power or how big my drivers for the mid/highs should be and im not sure how big the enclosure should be. if anyone has any ideas preferably a blue print for a mid/ high speaker and some suggestions on what drivers i should be buying that would be amazing. i can't stress how little i know about sound engineering and stuff, but i love my music and i wanted to build some speakers for parties, thanks so much for the help.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21710 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic First build 18" G-sub, could use help
Maybe something like the x10 or x12 . Simple reflex combos. I might prefer the 10s myself as I like how they sound on mids better. I would recommend not doing 15x1 combos. I find the 15s are usually sloppy before they reach the comp drivers.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds