Trapezoid slot port?

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #20814 by Laurence
Trapezoid slot port? was created by Laurence
Right, so i'm making a pair of trapezoid cabinets, trapezoid because i prefer the shape, i feel like it will be more stable, and making a rectangular based cabinet will result in a pretty thin cabinet and quite a tall one for the given volume which i have worked out.

Right so started designing the trapezoid cabinet, and again, prefer a slot port to a cylindrical one, purely down to personal preference. However, due to the increasing diameter of the cabinet it creates a sort of flare on the port and i'm wondering if this will be a problem. The port length is calculated through the width of the cabinet at the start of the port.
So, in case this is a problem, i made a second design whereby i made the sides of the port straight with two pieces of wood, and then the top of the port covers the the edges where there is space between the pieces of wood and the side of the cabinet. However this creates a strange shape inside the cabinet and im wondering if this will cause an issue with noise and so-on.
Or, should i just ditch the trapezoid design (last resort) and go for a Rectangular based cabinet?

Here are some pictures of the cabinets, very sorry for the incredibly bad description, any hope would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #20828 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Trapezoid slot port?
Having a straight slotted port (as shown in speakerplans5) will be easiest in terms of tuning. The otherwise expansion profile of the port means that the tuning will be relatively higher. To see what difference in tuning this equates to, you can simulate both the straight port and trapezoidal port as a rear loaded horn in Hornresp.

Best regards

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 4 months ago #20843 by Laurence
Replied by Laurence on topic Trapezoid slot port?
Thanks for the reply, will the fact that the cabinet is trapezoid and the port is straight cause any interference inside the cabinet? thanks

More
10 years 4 months ago #20846 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Trapezoid slot port?
No, they should not cause extra problems with the sound. They will just need to be added to the internal chamber volume for accurate calculations on tuning.

More
10 years 4 months ago #20865 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Trapezoid slot port?
I would have thought that the Q of a tapered port would be different, I have tried a few in the past and for me they just did not work.

Tony

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 4 months ago #20869 by Laurence
Replied by Laurence on topic Trapezoid slot port?
Thanks for the replies, looking at it i couldnt see how it would really work and so i redesigned a simpler rectangular reflex box, much more likely to work and also save on wood.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds