Help with bass reflex - 2x 15"

• rastafarlig
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #20318 by rastafarlig
Help with bass reflex - 2x 15" was created by rastafarlig
Hey Guys..

I'm expanding my current soundsystem .

I'm going to implement my current soundsystem and the bass-reflex in a christiania bike

I've got 4x PD.154 devices.
My plan is to use the 2 of them only.

So, I need help with these things.

- How do I calculate the dimensions for the cabinets? I have 2 fixed dimensions, the rest is not defined yet.
Is there a program where I just plug in the speaker specs?
- What about the vent? length?? Where to position it?
- I need a mono class d amp 12v for the two drivers. How powerful should it be? Which one is good?

The sketch beneath is for one of the 15" - I would like to make to of them, just like the sketch but opposite. The narrow end should be in the bike, the wide end should stick out in front of the bike.

I hope you guys will help me out.

Rasmus

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by rastafarlig.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #20322 by Reality Sound
Replied by Reality Sound on topic Re: Help with bass reflex - 2x 15"
This is pretty easy to use-
www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rastafarlig

• rastafarlig
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20323 by rastafarlig
Replied by rastafarlig on topic Re: Help with bass reflex - 2x 15"
#Reality sound - thanks, i'll look into it.

Will this amp. be good enough for the two pd154? - Or will I need two of them bridged?

More
10 years 9 months ago #20324 by chrapladm
Replied by chrapladm on topic Re: Help with bass reflex - 2x 15"
Have you calculated the volume yet?

Easiest way would be to figure out the area of the cabinet by splitting it into a few polygons. Rectangles and triangles and figure the area of those. One you state the area of your cabinet it only take a quick check on a calculator to figure out port size and length.

Any idea of what port size you are wanting to use?

Regarding amp size will be dependent on your cabinet size. Seeing that the 15's only have roughly 8mm Xmax you could easily damage these without proper design, amplification and Hpass setting.

• rastafarlig
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20329 by rastafarlig
Hey Guys.

How does this look? isnt 40hz preferable?

#chrapladm: do you have any suggestions for an amp? I'm quite a rookie at this point! What about the Kenwood I wrote about earlier in this thread?

More
10 years 9 months ago #20330 by chrapladm
What are your dimensions?

I am seeing 34liters. That wont fit a pair of 15's in it. Tell me the dimensions you want to use these 15's for please?

Or I can look at some simulatios and suggest a design. ??

• rastafarlig
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20331 by rastafarlig
Please be welcome to help me out with a design, i'm really not that good at this bassbox pro app :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #20332 by chrapladm
If you are trying to use a certain size cabinet it would help to know what the dimensions are of your constraints. Once I know that I cant suggest to you a design.

• rastafarlig
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #20333 by rastafarlig
I'd rather go with this design than the old one further up.. Having both units in one box, than having to boxes with a unit in each. That way I'll keep the weight down.

I have two fixed sizes.. As I don't have a clue how many litres the box is going to be, I haven't put the rest of the sizes on the sketch.

I need 25-30cm in the back of the bikebox for batteries and my mid-top soundsystem (illustrated on the drawing of the bike. see my mid/top soundsystem here

It is OK if the box for the 15" sticks out in front of the bike, I will remove the front panel.

Hope this gives you a better idea?
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by rastafarlig.

More
10 years 9 months ago #20334 by chrapladm
Is there no wall on the front?

Going with these dimensions, 24"/61cm x 11.5"/29cm x 14.25/36cm = 47liters available using 3/4"/18mm lumber.
47liters is about 1.7cuft. And a single 15" take about .15cuft of room. SO with a pair of 15's you are down .30cuft. So now we are looking at 1.4cuft or about 38liters roughly. So this is using all the volume available. Which is impossible. So it would be very hard to mount these woofers in the space you are given. A single 15 would be easy enough. But looking straight at the bike's front wont allow you to mount the woofer vertically unless towards the middle. 36cm is not enough room to mount to. You could mount a woofer in a PPSL sealed configuration.

Just think sealed and a lot smaller. Wont go as low but you could make the cabinet as big as you have available.

This is a sealed version. You would have to orientate the dimensions to fit your space. Just look at the bottom half. That is a pair of 10's. You could also design a 6th order bandpass cabinet. Which would have the woofer in a sealed enclosure firing into another enclosure that is ported. You would only see the port hole.

So many designs out there but with a pair of 15's trying to be crammed in a little amount of space it is hard to design anything that will go very deep. I would suggest using smaller woofers or using a single 15. Or if you must PPSL sealed might work for you. Porting will be tuned high because of limited space. So you could port around 50hz which would be great for kick drum and what not but would be limited to this and above. SO not much dubstep or other bass heavy music is going to pound from this bottom end.

If this is going to be used outside then a small single 10" horn bottom end would be perfect for you. Low wattage needed and high spl. These 15's would be good ported around 42hz in a proper size enclosure. You dont have that available. Why not build a full range cabinet that plays everything instead of a mid/high and sub configuration?

If I was limited I would build one of Bill Fitzmaurice's Jack 12's or 15's. Everything you need and only need small amounts of watts.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds