First scoop build

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20290 by Laurence
First scoop build was created by Laurence
Okay so this could be in the scoop section but its my first proper build and so i thought it would be fine here. Anyway, my friend had some old gsm1550's and all three tweeters blew on one of them, so i suggested we just build a new system. Been looking around a lot and ive come to favor the scoop design and then in-cooperate a tweeter, possibly an APT80 to make it a 'full range driver'. Im just wondering, how true is this claim of that being a full range driver, and providing i get a decent enough xover, will that tweeter be enough, or too much?
thakns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #20291 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Re: First scoop build
I suggest you research further and look at how people put there systems together and with what. The way you've written this makes it look like you don't know the first thing about sound and components. Take a look around and then come back. You will get help if you genuinely need it.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders
The following user(s) said Thank You: lexieleon1

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20293 by Laurence
Replied by Laurence on topic Re: First scoop build
Thats fair enough really, i dont know much, but am beginning to understand more, i'm just going on the designs i found here www.dancetech.com/file-library/document/scoop_12_15_18.pdf The second one down. Im just wondering how practical a design it is and if it will actually any sound good, as im at a disadvantage of not having experience with many drivers before.

More
10 years 9 months ago #20295 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: First scoop build
I have built from these plans before, and it is fully BS that you can slap a tweeter in there and have anything like a full range. I believe these are the plans for the Eminence Scoop. If you try to play up to even 200hz, you will hear some very awkward sounds. By all means, make this scoop if you want, there is nothing wrong with it really, but there are better thought out plans out there too. You will need some good mid speakers also, at the very least before you can reach the tweeters. Probably better with kicks and then mids and then tweeter. The APT supertweeters start pretty high too. Look at some other Compression drivers and horns that come a bit lower and your life will be a little simpler.

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20351 by Laurence
Thanks man, thats pretty much what i thought, especially with a 15" i reckoned you'd get a pretty big gap in the midrange, is the APT150 anything much? as im really on a budget here, and i much prefer a scoop design to a reflex and its something i havent done so would be good to experiment.But not sure if i have the cash to warrant buying a 10" to cover the grey areas.\ So could you maybe suggest a compression driver that will be decent enough to at least try and go a bit lower/ cover some of the midrange, as im not too fussed about crystal highs. The thing here is building something for decent enough sound, however ridiculous may that sound. Its more of an educational project if anything.This is a first project, where everything can be looked at and then improved upon in my next build.

More
10 years 9 months ago #20355 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: First scoop build
The APT 150 is just an apt50 with a cheapo horn slapped on it. It's useble frequency is 3.5kHz - 20kHz as claimed by Eminence. Nothing wrong with that, but it means extra bands to get there. For a budget Compression driver I have had some decent results with JBL Selenium drivers and horn combos. You will still need at least 1 cone driver to fill the gap between a HF Driver/horn combo and a scoop. A reflex 10" with a 1" comp driver could do the job, but the scoop will likely need to be reigned in to keep a balanced Frequency response. It is important to know that when you begin to go in the direction of a horn loaded system, you are often going away from a sensible budget, except for the fact that you can get more sound out of a medium large stack of horn loaded gear than a much larger stack of Reflex. There is nothing wrong with going reflex, they sound great when properly designed, but I know how it is. Horns and scoops are badass, and once you want them, you gotta have them. Just if you want to go that way, be prepared to build big, because horns sound best in a pile, not as singles.

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago #20359 by Laurence
Thanks very much, thats pretty much what i was expecting, and i think my plan now is to build the 15" drivers into sub build, possibly a rear loaded horn, buy maybe reflex, im not sure yet, and will then go on to build a couple of reflex 10" with a 1" comp driver combos.
Am i right in thinking that the perimeter of the mouth of the horn has to be equal to the wavelength of the lowest frequency you want to achieve? In which case, what two 15" scoops be to start off? Becuase if that will give me good enough bass response to start with, i can always just expand upon that.
thanks very much

More
10 years 8 months ago #20362 by K-M-Sound-System
Replied by K-M-Sound-System on topic Re: First scoop build
I'd just build a pair of Cubo 15's, you can get 15" drivers that will work fairly well in them at good prices, when i first built my old pair of Cubo 15's i just stuck some SoundLab drivers in them for playing around with untill i could afford nice ones, they happily out-played a pair of 18" R.C.L folded horns i had sitting in storage with the same power into each cab.

Anyway, pair of Cubo 15's or 2 pairs if you can stretch the budget, and build some x10/12/x15 style tops.

Cubo's you can just build more when you want to upgrade system (and load with decent drivers, makes the world of difference) and then just experiment with different tops, upgrade amps ect.

It's how i started doing gigs and making some extra cash by renting them out, 4 x cubo 15's and 2 x MT-121 tops did small bands and dj events around here for a good 9 months (2x Cubo's on sub, 2 Cubos on kick and then tops doing there job) before i sold the Cubo's and bought stuff for the workshop. Great speakers and pack a wicked punch for there size.

Hope that helps at all.
Daz

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #20370 by Laurence
Nice, cheers, been looking at the Cubo build and it seems like a pretty simple and good design so i think i might sort out a couple of these and source some other cabs elsewhere
thanks

• Laurence
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #20371 by Laurence
On another note, i know neither are great, but on a budget, which is the better tweeter out of the eminence ATP150 and ATP80? i know the ATP80 is probably more directional, but ive hear that the ATP150 is a bit too shrill?
thanks

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds