Daisy chaining subwoofers

• Wilsobook
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #20033 by Wilsobook
Daisy chaining subwoofers was created by Wilsobook
Hi, I have some Peavey Hisys 118 subs which are designed for use in passive and bi-amped modes. I have recently upgraded the drivers to handle more power, however, the amp (Peavey PV 2000) doesn't have sufficient power in stereo mode to drive them to full capacity. I thought I would bridge the amp and run the subs chained. However, the output is for a high frequency satellite from an internal crossover. I have already moved the socket on the crossover as described in the manual, but it seems to make no difference. I have also checked the wiring in the lead to match the output specs.

I'm a bit stumped. Which is a shame as the output from 1 sub with the amp in bridged mode is fairly pokey! I'd like to get both running if I can.

This is the manual.

www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/rm8000182-2.pdf

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20034 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Daisy chaining subwoofers
If you can't deactivate the passive xover then I would just either wire a speaker cabler to split the load y fashion. If you use the banana plugs you can just piggy back them.

The Hisys 118 is 500W RMS 4ohms right? If so, I would not want to daisy chain them anyhow as the amp will probably not be happy running 2 ohms in bridge. I think it could be pushed ok in stereo by the amp, and there would be less power loss per speaker and the amp would be happier . Just keep the amp out of clip.

• Wilsobook
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #20035 by Wilsobook
Replied by Wilsobook on topic Re: Daisy chaining subwoofers
Thanks for the response. I'll give the cable split a try to see if that does the trick.

You're right, the subs were 4 ohm. However I replaced the drivers with 8 ohm 1000 watt Eminence drivers. The amp reckons to run 2kw into 4ohms bridged so I figured it would be a good match.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20036 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Daisy chaining subwoofers
Yeah that should work alright. Was just afraid you might fry your amp at 2 ohms bridged.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds