heart What is the right box for me?

11 years 3 months ago #19229 by patryk1305
What is the right box for me? was created by patryk1305
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but I have been looking at the plans on this page for a long time now.
As I can't really find what I want, I decided to post here.

I would like to build myself some low-end cabs.
I have experience building boxes for hi-fi but not PA application.

I was looking around and for now I am wishing to spend around £400 on drivers and build boxes for them.
1. 2x RCF LF18G401
2. 2x PD 186
3. 2x Fane Collosus 18xb
4. 4x The Box 18-500/8-A
Above are the drivers I was looking at. I would like your suggestions on whether I should use two good drivers or 4 lets say average drivers like the box 18?

Now I would also like some advice on what box I should choose. I was looking at the Hog scoop as it offers exactly what I want.

These would be used for small parties so I don't need much. I am looking for subs which would go as low as 35hz but yet have high max spl when I need to turn them up.

I would be grateful if you could help me decide what driver/cab combination I should use.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #19231 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: What is the right box for me?
Personally, I would recommend the good drivers and some very nice BR boxes or else tapped horns. Scoops and traditional horns are huge and only the scoops go really low. Horns sound best with 4 or more, and the scoops require good drivers. Average will not work well.

For bass reflex, you can fairly easily design your own to fit the drivers you choose and the range you want. For tapped horns, it is a little trickier to design, so maybe a Tham 18 or the like. If you want a bigger box, tapped horn, I have heard only good things about the CB-18 Cyclops.

11 years 3 months ago #19235 by patryk1305
Replied by patryk1305 on topic Re: What is the right box for me?
Thanks for your advice bgrade, I don't mind how big my subs will be as long as i get some good sound out of them. So you think that I would need better drivers for scoops but for example the PD 186 or the RCF Lf18g401 would be good for tapped horns? I am just wondering whether anyone has tried using the PD 186 in the HOG design?

11 years 3 months ago #19236 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: What is the right box for me?
I did not mean that the PD186 is not a good driver. It is totally a good driver, though I am not sure if it can work in a Hog, just that if you can only afford 2 good drivers or 4 average drivers, I would probably go with the good drivers and designs that sound good in pairs. I think scoops sound best with at least 4, and they will eat those average drivers for breakfast. Tapped horns do not need to couple in large groups to sound good. Nor do BR Boxes. The BR Box will give you the most versatile range, and the tapped horns will give you a smaller range but better efficiency. The BR box will also be the most forgiving to use the average drivers. I would still go with the nice drivers over the average personally for the quality over quantity equation.