file First self build - whats my best option

12 years 3 weeks ago #16796 by mintydave
First self build - whats my best option was created by mintydave
Hello from a forum noooob

After a lot of thought and a fair amount of research im 99% sure a self build is the direction i want to take. Mainly due to the limited availability of passive cabs in todays market

So firtstly here is what i do, what i have, what i would like and budget

Prime use - generic Dj work (weddings etc ranging form small function rooms to marquees)

secondary use - PA for band (small venues only, vocals, acoustic/electric guitar, tiny bit of kick drum)

Current rig - 2 x RCF 712 Actives & 1 RCF 902 Active Bass bin

The bass bin is under powered for my tops and i m looking at building 2 passive good allround bass bins. Not looking for earth moving Sub frequencies and as i'll be using an active crossover would like some advice on target frequencies etc

Have had a sensible offer on my current bass bin and have approx £500 to build 2 cabs +-£50

My current RCF  spec
902As - www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~9260.asp
712A - www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~9107.asp

Graphs

So im looking at a 500w RMS cab. A Max SPL of at least 130DB. Now the different style of cabs really have me baffled (pardon the pun). All i understand is that some will deliver different frequencies better than others

As im not looking for Deep Sub i can imagine that would rule out some designs.

Mainly im looking for a good balanced rig that would sound good and is apprpiate for the type of functions i do.

15" v's 18", that depends on the cabinet. I want to keep the size and weight down and think 15" would be sufficient.

cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 weeks ago #16798 by g6akn
Replied by g6akn on topic First self build - whats my best option
Hmmm first thoughts,, I xill let others more experienced than myself answer you query ,, If its a fiirst build I can send you a link of how one guy builds his cabs and why he does the things ,, a lot of good info for the "Newbie" to self build. Take your time, some cabs have a lot of angled cuts so depending on what equipment you have (Or don't have) and experience with wood could rule a lot of cabs out for the newcomer.

15 vs 18 well for an example take a look at the cubo15 or cubo 18 the cabs sizes are not vastly different many have used this design as a first self builds I,m not suggesting this cab for you just making the point !!

I am assuming like myself and I may be wrong,, that you don't have much building experience or limited access to tools etc ( start at the bottom and work up lol ) in which case many of the Bss Reflex or Bandpass designs often have no nasty angled cuts !!!

Take advice do your research and don't overstretch on a firts build work to your own limits You will find a lot of help / advice here !!

Cheers Dave and Luz

12 years 3 weeks ago #16799 by mintydave
Replied by mintydave on topic First self build - whats my best option
Thanks for the reply

The actual building isnt a problem as i have a decent workshop at my disposal, i just need to make sure i build the right thing.

The Cubo cabs have been suggested in the past but without further input i'm staying on the fence for now.

Dave

12 years 3 weeks ago #16803 by g6akn
Cheers Dave,

Obviously I was not aware of the access to the workshop and experience. I replied as a complete novice,, With regards to building the things there is avery good guide on here

There is also a very good guide and FAQ page on speakerplans.com which are well worth a read anyway !!!!

Cheers Dav and Luz

12 years 3 weeks ago #16806 by mintydave
Thanks to you Dave
I have been through various forums and although there seems to be a wealth of experience and some very nice rigs, they seem to focus on big stuff and I'm struggling to find a suitable solution for my needs.

My plan was to pick up a pair of db technologies passive sw15's but they are now discontinued in favour of active units which I'm not a fan of. My experience is that they are expensive (RCF 905 active subs are £1000 each) and although the spec looks good on paper, the output is disappointing

I struggled to find an alternative sensible priced passive unit that boasts a decent spec and as I'm in the northern uk, dealers with pleanty of gear on demo are like rocking horse crap so a good demo session is near impossible.

Hence am looking to build and may look at more in the future.

Dave

12 years 3 weeks ago #16808 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic First self build - whats my best option
i think tapped horns will be the best best for your needs , they give a nice smooth sound!

mth-30 might be a good bet , this will make for a very compact system coupled with your tops!

dont know what there max spl is but there nice little cabs!

www.freespeakerplans.com/index.p ... load&id=12

12 years 3 weeks ago #16809 by mintydave
Thanks Joe

Had a good look at the mth cabs. Look very nice but my gripe is the shape. I'd rather have a square cabinet with a top hat (I know that stacking subs together is best but I would need to do the typical sub-pole-top config)

Saying that the mth's look good laid down

Would need to see some numbers too as my tops are quite loud and I want to ensure I get a balanced system

Dave

12 years 3 weeks ago #16812 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic First self build - whats my best option
yeh i know what u mean regarding poles as i have to do it alot of the time!

on there side they would be very low profile and very neat , dont know the numbers but someone may know on here!

or email the designer This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

iv emailed him before regarding another one of his designs , explain to him that u are a member of fsp and ask if he has the numbers for them with a big please on the end!

marc.o is very helpful when ive needed information smiley20

12 years 2 weeks ago #16819 by g6akn
Hi Dave from the Philippines !!

I'm gonna post you some Links to have a look at , you might fond them useful, first

A Speaker build highly detailed for the numpty (like me) www.colomar.com/Shavano/pa_speaker_project.html

A dsicussion on SUBS to help you dort out the basic types www.colomar.com/Shavano/subs.html

Loads of Plans ,, Assembly views here , forum.speakerplans.com/poweraudi ... 48256.html

Excellent guide and faq here www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=home

There is also an excellent guide on here but like a fool I forgot to bookmark it when I downloaded it sorry !!!!

If you have already seen them well bin them lol but as a complete novice i've found them usefull so passing my bit of research on Cheers

Dave and Luz (Manila Philippines) !!!!!!!!!

12 years 2 weeks ago #16824 by mintydave
Thanks Dave & Luz, great information. Will be having a good read over the next few days

Dave (cold and wet northern Uk)