building a system

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #15470 by crossed
building a system was created by crossed
Ok, so my background with quality PAs is very limited. Ive been a trance/breakbeat Dj since about 1999 and all the local clubs where I played out, even though I didn't realize it until recently, had horrible PAs. Basically, they were just all 2 18" subs and flying 15" or in the bigger ones had 4 18" subs with dual 15" on top of the subs... and they used brands like JBL or EV. That was really it. One club didn't even have crossover/equalizer/compressors, just one of those BBE sonic maximizers and they ran from the sub out to the sub amp. That's why I'm so interested in building a really good system now. I want something to be proud of.

Three years ago my wife had our first kid so I haven't played out since then. I'd like to get back into it, now. ATM I have a Crown 1kw amp, and a qscGX3 amp, a Behringer CX 3400 crossover, an Alesis 3630 compressor, 2 generic dual 12" and 2 single 12" cabs a single 15" JBL and 2 powered American Audio 12" speakers I use for monitors. They might not be much, but since I do have something for mid/high, I'm building the Cubo15's first.

After I build the Cubos I don't know what to work on next. I heard it mentioned that you need kicks but I don't really know what that is. I just thought there was Bass(subs), mids (12 or 15" speakers), and highs(1 or 2" horn). To have 18" subs and then another 18" speaker sitting on top... I just don't really know what it does for me. On top of the kicks I should have a reflex enclosure, but I don't really know about that either... lol smiley36 I'm just wanting a system that would work well with 2 Cubo 15s.

Like I said in another post, I feel like I should apologize for my ignorance every time I post.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #15480 by bee
Replied by bee on topic building a system
you can go from the cubo's straight to your tops..... Kick is a term used to cover the kick drum region..... by using a separate cab for kick region, the sound of your system should sound more rounded. for example sub and tops (tops 12" and hf) can be run 2 way, one for sub, 2nd for tops. The tops will need an inbuilt crossover between the 12" and hf, this system can all so be run 3 way, 1 for sub, 2 for 12" and 3 for hf. By adding a kick cab, you would run the system 3 or 4 way....... hope this helps a bit. To start off with i would keep your system as basic as possible. That way as you learn more, you will grow with your system and your system will grow with you...... Ive heard a fair few small systems that sound great, so even if you start with 2 cubo's and 2 tops your aim would be to learn how to use it to its very best....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds