file First build/refurbish attempt

12 years 6 months ago #15285 by bjclhb
First build/refurbish attempt was created by bjclhb
Good afternoon all!

I'm new to freespeakerplans and am super keen on building some speakers. My housemate (who's a cabinet maker with all the tools) and I are going to try our hand at building a pair of X1 subs which be used mostly for small parties playing house, prog, trance etc.

However a few days ago my neighbor was throwing out a pair of Celestion Ditton 25's (mycolectionditton.com/Ditton25.html) The drivers and wiring is all a bit ratty so its been removed and we were planning on just refurbing them for some home hi-fi speakers but then thought about possibility of using the boxes (which are really solidly built and in great condition) to build 2 mid-top boxes.

So being completely new to this my question is, would it be worthwhile using these boxes for the purpose of building a small PA? If it does prove worthwhile does anyone have any suggestions/tips that we should factor in before we get started such as recommended drivers, replacing the tweeter with a horn etc etc?

Thanks in advance :-D

Ben!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #15360 by bjclhb
Replied by bjclhb on topic First build/refurbish attempt
No suggestions or advice from anyone? Even a yes or no would be helpful as to whether I should spend any time on these or just invest my energy in building from scratch (building the boxes etc)

12 years 5 months ago #15365 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic First build/refurbish attempt
You could try a couple of cheap 12" P.A. Driver in there (Celestion Truvox range or similar) and a 1" comp. You would need to get some reflex ports sorted out as well. PVC tubes are probably the best to fit in a box like this, assume 2 x 100 dia, length to be calculated. The ports could go on the back as baffle space looks restricted.

Remember that they are only chipboard so will not take any abuse.

Tony

p.s. distance between drivers looks a bit small so fully check dimensions etc before ordering any bits.

12 years 5 months ago #15376 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic First build/refurbish attempt
That bottom driver cutout looks bigger than the middle driver and it looks like they share the same cab volume or is it just me? Not a good idea having different size driver in same can vol for pa use!!!!

12 years 5 months ago #15378 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic First build/refurbish attempt
I would attempt to build proper mid hi cabs and leave these cabs for Hi Fi.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

12 years 5 months ago #15418 by bjclhb
Replied by bjclhb on topic First build/refurbish attempt
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I'm think I may just give these a little polish up and keep them as hi fi after some thought and tony's advice, don't really want to spend much on these if they don't turn out to be worth it so would rather sink my money into a proven plan/design

Joey: For whatever reason it looks that way in the picture but both cutouts for the drivers are the same size (12inch) the bottom cutout contained a passive radiator but the top driver fits flush in the bottom cutout also. And yes they do share the same cab volume.

Thanks again!