GAP Sealants

• matt3719
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 10 months ago #13605 by matt3719
GAP Sealants was created by matt3719
Hello, Looking for a good cab joint sealant/adhesive, have seen inside a few cabs these days and the Manufacturers seem to be using thin beads of a tough semi flexible white coloured degapper/adhesive, not sure what it is if any one knows of it or something simular?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13608 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic GAP Sealants
Personally, I've never used any, but if you think that you need to, any bathroom sealant will do, White or clear will do the same job.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 10 months ago #13610 by bee
Replied by bee on topic GAP Sealants
if you go to any good joinery shop (benchmarx) they also sell it in colours........ But if you need to seal a cab up air tight, then you have built it wrong......... measure twice cut once........... and use a good strong glue, and plenty of it. If you get seapage over the joints of glue then wipe it off with some decorators wipes...... If i see silicone around cabs etc then it makes me think, and looks like a poor build.

More
12 years 9 months ago #14377 by jazomir
Replied by jazomir on topic GAP Sealants

bee wrote: measure twice cut once

Wrong - measure three times then ask a mate who hasn't had a drink to double check for you before you cut!
I recently fitted a steel 'blanking plate' in a chimney when I had a wood burning stove installed in my house (to save on gas) - the guy who cut out the holes for the first version apparently didn't understand the difference between inches & centimetres and used a can opener (I think) to cut the holes - my builder mate did the second version in 5 minutes by eye (no ruler) with a jigsaw and was absolutely spot on! He drinks Frosty Jack (yuch) , but only after he has finished work, thank God!

Regards,
Jazomir

More
12 years 9 months ago #14382 by bee

Jazomir wrote:

bee wrote: measure twice cut once

Wrong - measure three times then ask a mate who hasn't had a drink to double check for you before you cut!
I recently fitted a steel 'blanking plate' in a chimney when I had a wood burning stove installed in my house (to save on gas) - the guy who cut out the holes for the first version apparently didn't understand the difference between inches & centimetres and used a can opener (I think) to cut the holes - my builder mate did the second version in 5 minutes by eye (no ruler) with a jigsaw and was absolutely spot on! He drinks Frosty Jack (yuch) , but only after he has finished work, thank God!

lol....

More
12 years 9 months ago #14410 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic GAP Sealants
What you have to remember, is that in the DIY world, not everyone that wants to build cabs is any good at woodwork. The skills come later with experience.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 9 months ago #14420 by bee
this is true tony....... what ever you use dont use silicone as you cant paint over it, the best stuff would be decorators calk...... this can be painted over...... if the gaps are a bit bigger than anything over 1mm to 2mm then use a good wood filler....... expanding glue is allso good to fill any minor wobbles in your cuts..... can be purchased from most good wood yards (not b&Q).......

More
12 years 9 months ago #14422 by saul
Replied by saul on topic GAP Sealants
for the record - it's polyeurathane glue

true - got some cabs in at the moment, that i have to make copies of, and there's caulk everywhere, it's a bit depressing.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds