file diy active cabs

12 years 11 months ago #13049 by Daryll
diy active cabs was created by Daryll
Hi all.

Thinking caps on ,I would like to build a pair of small full range cabs for background music , speeches etc, either a 10" + horn or a 12" + horn , the other thing is , I would like them Active............so are there any suitable plate amps out there to do the job , I am thinking along the lines of 150w per cab , is this possible ?

Cheers

Daryll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #13052 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic diy active cabs
not sure of your location, but partsexpress.com has several to choose from. As does Cheaplights.com

12 years 11 months ago #13053 by Daryll
Replied by Daryll on topic diy active cabs
Thanks for that , I live near Petersfield , Hampshire , UK smiley1

Daryll

12 years 11 months ago #13054 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic diy active cabs
im pretty sure parts express would ship over to you, not sure about cheaplights tho.

11 years 10 months ago #17945 by bbqbill
Replied by bbqbill on topic diy active cabs
I'm not a fan of active boxes, but you need to consider the venue you will be using them. Of which you probably already have. And whether your equipment will be mobil. And how prone the amps will be to breakdown, cause if they go under during use, you just lost half or possibly the whole show. Just sayin?

11 years 10 months ago #18046 by NorfolkDad
Replied by NorfolkDad on topic diy active cabs
(I was told in a music shop recently that active is the way everyone is now going) I'm also NOT a fan of active subs for the same reasons as above. Also you still have to run a sound cable to each cab, but you now also have to run a 240 V cable to each cab. I don't much like this idea, as for outdoor applications - I think this would be nuts as far as health and safety issues are concerned.

But - what do I know smiley33

11 years 10 months ago #18048 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic diy active cabs
to me if u get a cheap light weight amp an just run speaker wire is a better wat to go dont u think ...

11 years 10 months ago #18065 by swan
Replied by swan on topic diy active cabs
Why not just buy a pair of active 12" or 15" speakers? Warfdale titan or Samson DAuro 400 in my opinion are good for what you want and the price, even to our South African standards are not to bad. That would be my choice on active sound systems. OR JBL.

11 years 10 months ago #18132 by Andy Kos
Replied by Andy Kos on topic diy active cabs
Having used active boxes gigging myself, I was once very glad of having active boxes at a job when there was some issue with power caused by the band. Luckily they only switched off HALF the sound system by being stupid, so I could carry on playing whilst rerouting power cables.

One another occasion I had a fuse blow in the active speaker. SO I lost one cab out of several for a few minutes whilst the fuse was changed, the rest carried on working. If you had it all running off one/two amps, and your amp goes down, it's potentially time to pack up and go home if you cant get it fixed.

For mobile DJs, I strongly recommend active boxes, and something reputable. Good active speakers will have built in EQ, limiters, etc - which makes them plug and play, takes the worry out of configuring sound systems , and setting up EQ and limiters separately.