file wiring speakons.....

13 years 6 days ago #12144 by bee
wiring speakons..... was created by bee
ok im just about to wire up my mt's is there a indestry way of doing it i.e.

NL2-Two Pole Version Speaker Cable
use (1+) and (1-) for full range signal

NL4-Four Pole Version (2 way) Speaker Cable
use (1+) and (1-) for bass signal

use (2+) and (2-) for treble signal

NL8-Eight Pole Version (3 way) Speaker Cable

use (2+) and (2-) for midrange signal

use (3+) and (3-) for treble signal

NL8-Eight Pole Version (Four Way) Speaker Cable

use (2+) and (2-) for lower midrange signal

use (3+) and (3-) for upper midrange signal

use (4+) and (4-) for treble signal

what im asking is should the hf be wired to +2 and - 2, and the 12" mid to +1 -1......... if they where going to be used solely by me only then i suppose it does not matter, but if others were to use them, i would not want to risk blowing the hf by them using the opposit to connect with there patch bay etc....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 days ago #12151 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic wiring speakons.....
My peavey bi amp is 1- 1+ low and 2- 2+ high.

12 years 11 months ago #12422 by chickenfizz
Replied by chickenfizz on topic wiring speakons.....
In short, yes, that is the standard way to wire speakons, but not all manufactures adhere to it, Ohm for example sometimes wire their subs on pins 2+ & 2-. Some of HK's bi-amped speakers are wired LF on pins 2 and HF on pins 1 (though this is craziness in my opinion).

"Full range" signal is also not necessarily on Pin 1, i.e. in a Bi-amped system of subs and passive mid tops you would probably want your mid tops to be wired "full range" on pins 2, this way you can use 4 core cable to go into the subs then link through to the tops and you don't need adapter cables (wired pins 1 on one end and pins 2 on the other).

Also with NL8s in a 3 way system you wouldn't usually wire it Bass 1, Mid 2, Top 3, you'd usually have Top on pins 4 and then leave either the 2 pins or 3 pins unused. This means if you were to use a different (or 4 way) amp rack you couldn't accidentally connect your HF to a mid channel.

12 years 11 months ago #12428 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic wiring speakons.....
There's always be a logical way of doing things, like reading stuff from left to right. I've never put the right input on the left, and speakers always start at the bottom. Subs would never be pin 4.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders