file could use some help with enclosure choice for small room

13 years 3 months ago #10757 by subpirate
ok so i have a small bar that holds about 150 people packed like sardines i need some sugguestions on enclosure types for the bass bins i want to keep the spl up on the dancefloor ..the current system is a pair of EV loaded dual 15 mains and 2 older peavy front loaded reflex cabs with selinium 800w drivers..
the subs fart out and really just sound like ass ...bad cab/driver combo so im planning on replacing the cabs

my real question is this.. what cab design will give me a solid punch for doing rockbands and also enough sub bass to please a heavy dubstep/bass music crowd ..i want to rattle peoples guts with bass
right now i am relying on the top boxes way to much for the bottom end

i really like the simplicity of the cubo design..i also thought about losing the 18's and building dual 15 cabs..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #10758 by Tony Wilkes
Martinsson 15" tapped horns, nice and compact and suitably subby. Use the best driver you can afford it will pay dividends.

13 years 3 months ago #10762 by MAutopsy
four mth30's would be perfect smiley20

13 years 3 months ago #10763 by jsk
+1 on the Martinsson THAM15. Great compact solution, Will run 35 - 200hz and very musical
too.

13 years 3 months ago #10764 by GekoMusic94

MAutopsy wrote: four mth30's would be perfect smiley20

+1. The MTH-30 are great!

13 years 3 months ago #10765 by Tony Wilkes
He did say he needed sub and <40 hz is usually considered sub. AFAIK the MTH-30 will not give any significant output down there.

Tony

13 years 3 months ago #10781 by chaudio
Call me a boring git but I'd probably just put 4 decent 18" reflex subs in there.

13 years 3 months ago #10783 by Tony Wilkes
Chris, before I built the Martinsson tapped horns that would have been my first response.

13 years 3 months ago #10784 by chaudio
I must admit to have not ventured into tapped horn territory yet. I'm not sure calling them a horn is entirely accurate as the expansion isn't huge. In some ways they're more just resonant pipes like TQWP's or Transmission Lines. However, the simulations and experimental reports seem to suggest they're effective so I'm definitely curious. Shame I already have so much on the to-do list!

13 years 3 months ago #10786 by jsg
The Martinsson design at www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php ... 923-101228 will act like a series tuned 6-th order bandpass.

The "front chamber" is the baffles surrounding the driver, a duct of say 20 inches effective depth that will resonate (quarter-wave) at 170Hz. The "rear chamber" is a duct of about 80 inches that resonates at about 42Hz and feeds into the front chamber, as seen with series tuned (type B) bandpasses.

Series tuning helps to increase bandwith at both ends at the cost of less sensitivity at the top end. A response from 35 to 200Hz is entirely possible. Doing it with ducts mostly means that higher resonant modes will get excited in the rear duct, which will have a predictable but difficult-to-manage effect on the response (3rd@127Hz, 5th@212Hz). This effect is likely to make it non-flat, but might still make the sound more enjoyable, especialy to those of us who are accustomed to the boom boxes made by Turbosound et al.

Ars est celare artem