JBL TR125 replacements

• delboy9999
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #9237 by delboy9999
JBL TR125 replacements was created by delboy9999
Hi Everyone,

Firstly can I congratulate you on the site, it is extremely well laid out , and your members seem very helpful.

My name is Ian and I am part of a singing duo that sings to backing tracks. For about 6 years now we've been using JBL TR125 for the speaker section of our PA. The bass drivers blew about 3 years ago and we replaced them with Eminence drivers. We also have a Yamaha P3200 power amp that seems to compliment the speakers fairly well.

We are now considering an upgrade of the speakers and want replace the JBL's with something that will allow us to play some slightly bigger venues, and possibly add a sub-woofer. We currently play pub & working men clubs usually with no more than 200 people.

I would very much appreciate any advise anyone could give regarding building our own speakers. Self build seems the logical approach , especially as a close family member has offered to help (and he's a keen woodwork/self build enthusiast smiley1 )

I've been looking through the plans and I am not sure if any of these would serve as suitable replacements for our ageing JBL's?

Anyway, it nice to me you all, and look forward to conversing with you.

Regards
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9238 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic JBL TR125 replacements
I would suggest a good pair of 12" + compression drivers and a pair of 15" subs. The 12" units could be used on their own for really small venues and the subs added for larger gigs.

You will also need another amplifier and a suitable electronic crossover. If one of the new type lightweight amps are used all the electronics could be put in one rack cab and it would still be a reasonable one man lift.

If you can afford the extra I would recommend using Neo magnet drivers as well, your back will forever say thank you when you move them around.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds