file Thank you Tech Dude Bazz

3 years 8 months ago #24633 by boyblue
Thank you Tech Dude Bazz was created by boyblue
Hello,
I ended up here after coming across a youtube video by Tech Dude Bazz 
I'm a liquidator and through happenstance I have quite a few drivers and lots of 25mm & 12mm wood panels, so I figured I'd purchase some plate amps and build some powered speakers.
I saw that video and was intrigued by the idea of an all in one box.  In checking the comments it seems that most of the folks that knew what they were talking about were critical of the design but people that actually built it, liked the results.

I tried to get a copy of the drawings but the email address no longer works.  So I came here to reach out to folks that know something about this stuff.  Pardon me in advance for my ignorant questions :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #24636 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Thank you Tech Dude Bazz
The drawing shows it's a series tuned sixth order band pass, as an educated guess it's tuned near 63 Hz, with quite a narrow band width. This can be increased by using a 12" driver with a high Qes, which is typical for cheaper drivers.

The picture at 1.36  in combination with the measurements given in the video make it possible to have a decent stab at it. To be fair, the design looks a bit rough and depending on what dimensions you can live with, another 6th order band pass can also fit the bill as it's basically just a bass cabinet within a mid top.

Cubo

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #24637 by boyblue
Replied by boyblue on topic Thank you Tech Dude Bazz
Firstly let me just say that it's amazing that more folks don't frequent this forum, for a novice like myself it's so potentially useful.  I also need to add that I understand that I'm attempting to do something that I have no business doing, but I'm in Nassau, Bahamas & I'd bet few if any speaker builders apply any math to their designs so if I do the basics I might come up with something better than expected.

Cubo15 wrote: The drawing shows it's a series tuned sixth order band pass, as an educated guess it's tuned near 63 Hz, with quite a narrow band width. This can be increased by using a 12" driver with a high Qes, which is typical for cheaper drivers.
Cubo

Ok, among other stuff, I have 8 drivers by DS18, the model is the 12-ME (supposedly 30Hz - 1,000Hz, 600 watt RMS).  Could/should I use two of them in this box, tuning one as a sub and the other as a mid?  Or would you suggest using them as subs and choosing something else for mids?  I could adjust the design to include two 6" drivers.  I have enough Audiobahn ADM 60Q's (100 watts RMS, 30Hz - 5,000Hz) to pair with those DS18's?  If I use the 6" drivers, should I put a baffle between them and might they need to be ported?

Cubo15 wrote: The picture at 1.36  in combination with the measurements given in the video make it possible to have a decent stab at it. To be fair, the design looks a bit rough and depending on what dimensions you can live with, another 6th order band pass can also fit the bill as it's basically just a bass cabinet within a mid top.
Cubo

As best I can tell (height measurement is blurred) the external dimensions are 32" x 17.5" x 16".  I'd like to reduce the height to 28", I have a lot more panels this height but if the 32" is required, that's fine.  I'll adjust the depth based on the cubic foot requirements.  Is there another design that is less rough or more appropriate for the drivers mentioned?  I've been looking and haven't seen another three way design with the recessed sub, although it's not a requirement, it's what caught my eye, do you know of a proven design that's similarly constructed? 
Other questions:
  1. Which of these tweeters would be more appropriate for this box, Pyle Dryver Pro PDBT45 (100 watts RMS, 1,500Hz - 20,000Hz) or Pyle Dryver Pro PDBT58 (500 watts RMS, 2,000Hz - 25,000Hz)
  2. My panels are 3/4" plywood with simulated wood grain, one side laminated (OSL).  Should I, leave the laminate on the exterior as the finish or cover it with speaker fabric? Leave it on the interior to somehow improve tuning?
  3. I'm planing on using angled pieces in all corners, is 3/4" pieces OK (preferred as box can be smaller, considering cu ft taken up or should I use 1 1/2"?
  4. What would make the best baffle between mid & sub chambers?
 3/4" Ply OSL, with the laminated side facing sub
 3/4" Ply OSL, with the laminated side facing mid
 2 layers of 1/2" ply glued together
 15 layers of polyester fabric sandwiched between 2 layers of 1/2" ply
 3 layers of 1/2" ply glued together

3 years 8 months ago #24638 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Thank you Tech Dude Bazz
Hi,

Do you have a link to any of the drivers that you mentioned (manufacturer, specs, pdf, T/S-parameters, etc)? Also what does the ply you mention look like, what material, how many plies? Never heard of
15 layers of polyester fabric sandwiched between 2 layers of 1/2" ply, what is it normally used for?

As best I can tell (height measurement is blurred) the external
dimensions are 32" x 17.5" x 16".  I'd like to reduce the height to 28",
I have a lot more panels this height but if the 32" is required, that's
fine

You could make the outer baffle, sides and rear 28", then put the lower and upper panel on top of that to get to 28" + 2 x panel thickness for total height.

My panels are 3/4" plywood with simulated wood grain with one side laminated (OSL)

Are you able to securely glue the laminates? If not, use them on the outside, a good loudspeaker cabinet is glued and screwed (or stapled), If the glue and screws give a structural bond that's air tight, I see no benefit in (also) using battens in the corners but feel free to use any.

3 years 8 months ago #24639 by boyblue
Replied by boyblue on topic Thank you Tech Dude Bazz
I answered but it got lost somehow, I'll answer again tomorrow