file Hello from Ohio

9 years 1 week ago #22624 by roberth
Hello from Ohio was created by roberth
Older retired guy, worked as an engineer thru the 70's to 90's

I do IT part-time now.

I post on Altec User's Board as "old guy" if any interested in vintage stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #22625 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Hello from Ohio
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What kind of work did you do in the past.

Rog.

9 years 1 week ago #22627 by roberth
Replied by roberth on topic Hello from Ohio
Worked with several Altec contractors in the early 70's. Wound up doing some work directly for Altec, primarily liquidating excess inventory. Went from that to mixing for a sound company I didn't own, toured enough to figure out it wasn't for me.

Mid 70's I purchased a system of my own, worked primarily in the central Ohio area. It was scalable, so I could do medium sized pubs, and outdoor shows. Never really made any money, but lots of fun.

Late 70's I sold the system and went to work managing a store owned by a friend. We had a cabinet shop, made tons of EV, Altec and JBL boxes, with a few original designs. Did that for about ten years.

Ran my own Pro Sound sales operation till the early 2000's, but sold it off due to a medical issue. Somewhere in the 90's we started doing PC's for musicians.

My medical issues have improved, so recently have started doing computer systems again. I only work about 20 hours a week, would like to start doing audio projects again.

9 years 1 week ago #22629 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Hello from Ohio
Sounds like you've had some great experiences along the way.

I did FOH on tours for a lot of the 80's and 90's and loved it. Sleeping in flight cases is so much better than a real bed ha ha. I'm occasionally let out now and again to mix a load of people on stage shouting at 20,000 people in the audience.

Will you build for yourself this time or for a commercial venture. And out of all the cabs you built in the past, which one did you like best and why.

Rog.