18" hornloaded bass bins

• jimmy2hands
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #22569 by jimmy2hands
18" hornloaded bass bins was created by jimmy2hands
hey guys, don't know a great deal about speakers not compared to some of the guys in here, i study physics so i have a deep understanding of waves and stuff but i recently made 2 18" bass bins, sound great, rated at around 600w rms at 8 ohm, have them running on a peavey pv2000 power amplifier, they don't seem powerful enough, the cross over frequency is 100hz and has a low pass filter at 30 hz to prevent voice coil from burning up, thing is i want to feel that punchy bass around 200hz but i want to build some smaller 15" bass bins which i can also play indoors as the horn loaded ones sound terrible unless placed in a corner, so if anyone one has any great idea's or any information that could help me sort out my audio problems id be more than great full to hear it, thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #22574 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic 18" hornloaded bass bins
I use 1850 horns. I rarely corner load them, but they do require some heavy handed eq to tame the upper end and allow the lower end to shine through. They do not go particularly low, and very few horn loaded subs do. I do think a horn loaded setup requires a medium to large pile of bins to sound right though. I use 4 and I never pair them down to fewer than that. I think four in a stack would be the minimum I would bother with. If somebody needs a smaller setup, I use reflex bins instead, which are much easier to process and also have a wider frequency range. If the horn loaded 18s don't suit your needs, I would say put the drivers in something you like better rather than make more speakers to play with speakers you don't like. It is a hard lesson to learn that when your speakers that you lovingly built are not meeting your needs, it is OK to go on back to the drawing board. Much easier to decide you dislike some branded product you bought and move on to something else.

More
9 years 2 months ago #22575 by bgrade
I reread your post, and I guess you are saying you do like the 18s but they aren't playing high enough for your needs. I would be trying to get 200 hz out of my mids, not my subs. my 1850s are supposed to sound good up to 200, but my mids are certainly more clean sounding in that area. What are you using for mids? Horns or reflex? Horn mids can start to lose out around 200, but most reflex should be good down to 100 no problem.

• jimmy2hands
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #22577 by jimmy2hands
Replied by jimmy2hands on topic 18" hornloaded bass bins
The 18" horns I've made are not to bad, judging from your profile photo you have a nice setup, I'll send you a picture of them, I only had one of them finished at the time but its only photo I have, anyway back to the mids you mentioned, what kind of frequency range would the mids cover? 200hz~2500hz ? Might consider invest as I only have 2 x 12" tops and 2 x 15" tops not the best but drives are alright in them, 200w RMS for 12", 350w RMS for the 15", where should I go from what I've got? Give me some advice maybe?
Attachments:

More
9 years 2 months ago #22579 by bgrade
Ideally you want the mid to cover everything between the sub and the treble, but sometimes you can't and then you have to add more bands either in the form of kick bins or upper mid small cone drivers. I would advise to try and keep the number of crossover points to a minimum when planning your pa.

• jimmy2hands
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #22608 by jimmy2hands
Replied by jimmy2hands on topic 18" hornloaded bass bins
sorry its taken a while to get back to you, only just had a look through my mail, so you're telling me i should rather invest in 2 extra horn loaded subs, or if i want that low down bass i should look for another type of sub woofer to cover my needs, done some reading on reflex cabinets and they seem to fit the bargain quite well, what design would you recommend and what size driver?, also read up that it can sound a little muggy mixing up different types of bass bins, maybe you could help me with that one as you speak from much more advice than most people i know, and for the mids what size drivers should i be looking at?, what kind of power and is it advisable to invest in an active cross over if im wanting to use some mids as they don't need anything below 200hz, all the thanks jimmy

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds