howdy

More
9 years 6 months ago #22082 by MelB
howdy was created by MelB
Hello

I used to build car audio subs a lot around 20 years ago. I've been doing some small psytrance events and got tired of renting gear so I recently built my own PA that consists of two BFM Omnitop 12s and two custom design vented 15" subs. I also built a BFM autotuba last year. I've been thinking about building some BFM tuba 30s but have started looking at the cubo subs. I like the simplicity of the design and I'm wondering if I could use the 15" drivers I already have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22085 by bee

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22086 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic howdy

MelB wrote: Hello

I used to build car audio subs a lot around 20 years ago. I've been doing some small psytrance events and got tired of renting gear so I recently built my own PA that consists of two BFM Omnitop 12s and two custom design vented 15" subs. I also built a BFM autotuba last year. I've been thinking about building some BFM tuba 30s but have started looking at the cubo subs. I like the simplicity of the design and I'm wondering if I could use the 15" drivers I already have.

Howdy MelB! I live in a part of the world where Howdy is "authentic"! Obviously I was glad to see someone else use that! Maybe you will include where you hail from ( I am from Oklahoma City)!
I am interested in BF cabs you already built, and how they are working out. The Otops are one of the designs I am seriously considering (I have the "Complete Collection" CD!
I am not as confident in his subs. While the response curves he publishes for all his cabs may look impressive to young guys that just say "its loud", those same curves say it has some problems with smoothness, enough for some ear fatigue and that worries me personally! The subs curves say "it isn't a sub"! They wouldn't like it over there but if I build any of his designs, they will get a major rework first!
Edit: While I think it would be wrong for me to remove that comment concerning my reservations about Bill Fitzmaurice designs even after buying the CD and studying in depth...it would be just as wrong to let that stand as printed. That guy does give out some very good info and seems to be doing a number of things right. I just still have some unresolved reservations at this point and have not felt comfortable expressing them in the BF forum!
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bjm362.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22091 by MelB
Replied by MelB on topic howdy
BJM - I'm very happy with the Omnitops. I like Bill's plans because of all the detail. I'm just a few notches above novice and I feel like nothing was really left to chance with his plans. They are the only PA tops I've ever owned but compared to others I've heard, they are fantastic. AND I've gotten lots of compliments on their sound. When planning to put together a PA, I just couldn't bring myself to buy manufactured cabinets when DIY is so much more fun and economical for what you get out of it. I live in Austin, TX. Howdy is pretty authentic here but is sometimes used in an annoying way by the hipsters that are invading the city.

Bee - I have these Dayton 15s

From what I could tell, it looks like everything is fine except for the Vas. It comes up short from what's recommended for the Cubo subs. To be honest, I am pretty happy with the vented cabs I built for them but I'm itching to build something else and the Cubos look simpler than the BFM build. I also hear a mixed bag of opinions outside of the BFM forum regarding BFM cabinets and with the Tuba 30s, I'd have to buy some lab 12s and sell my other cabinets with drivers to finance that.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22095 by bjm362
Thank you for the insight on your results with the Otops!

Bee can give you better advice on the cubos, so I will stay out of that.... Myself I may build some BFM tops as well as other BFM cabs for other purposes.I am going to study them further first though! However, I definitely plan on building some Cubo Subs. If I can my printer to properly print a cut sheet I am going to do that soon!

More
9 years 6 months ago #22096 by bjm362
MelB, If you get a chance would you mind elaborating a bit more on your Otops? There are some options in that design and since you have had really good resulkts I am hoping to hear about what choices you made!

More
9 years 6 months ago #22097 by MelB
Sure. I went with the Delta Pro 12s and the crossfiring piezo array with 12 in each cabinet. I feel like the sound is both warm and crisp. I thought those piezo arrays might sound harsh but they sound pretty good without me even doing much EQ. I reserved a spot in the park and some friends and I will be throwing a free psytrance party there in a couple of weeks. I'm excited about the opportunity to set up early and try some EQ software to help adjust my system. I live in a fairly quiet residential neighborhood, so I don't really get to play around with my PA at home.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22099 by bjm362

MelB wrote: Sure. I went with the Delta Pro 12s and the crossfiring piezo array with 12 in each cabinet. I feel like the sound is both warm and crisp. I thought those piezo arrays might sound harsh but they sound pretty good without me even doing much EQ. I reserved a spot in the park and some friends and I will be throwing a free psytrance party there in a couple of weeks. I'm excited about the opportunity to set up early and try some EQ software to help adjust my system. I live in a fairly quiet residential neighborhood, so I don't really get to play around with my PA at home.

TY again for your input, that design was one of the primary reasons for buying the CD. That crossfire array is something I theorized would smooth out the "nasty piezo" about 25 years ago! Bill certainly did some good work there! I was pleased to see it in the designs. However I do still say that with a good midrange horn between the LF section and crossing over again a bit higher,they would be smoother still! I may have to do some BFM design builds before I can apply much of my own theories though. That may be my big struggle with the whole deal. I look at his designs, and I can see how well some of it is....it is just almost what I want!

Edit: BTW, I took I took a peak at those drivers...and although I am not as knowledgeable as some of the guys around here. I did have an interesting thread around here with Cubo on the theory behind those about the time he released the second prototype (cubo15). That driver looks to me to be essentially all of what he described at that time!
It still wouldn't hurt to contact him and check though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MelB

More
9 years 6 months ago #22156 by MelB
I sent Mr. Cubo an email. I'm pretty happy with the vented boxes I have for my 15s but if I can go lower and louder with cubo subs, I think it would be worth building them!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bjm362

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds