This site is...Big UP!

• Brownies
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20601 by Brownies
This site is...Big UP! was created by Brownies
Hi all, was looking for info to build a soundsystem at home and I have found, this place is amazing, now I have to learn from all of you.

Somebody help me, where do I start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #20603 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic This site is...Big UP!
What are you goals? how many people and what music would you be playing primarily?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brownies

• Brownies
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20605 by Brownies
Replied by Brownies on topic This site is...Big UP!
I have a year to spend, without haste, I have my little home studio active monitors 5 inches, nothing serious, but I would like to set up a soundsystem to enjoy Jamaican sound in the garden, with my friends, I have a lot of room, lisen music: rock steady, roots, reggae, dub, thanks for everything, blesses!

• Brownies
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #20606 by Brownies
Replied by Brownies on topic This site is...Big UP!
Could you help has mounted something, I need your cooperation, materials, speakers, electronics, tips and tricks, Thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Brownies. Reason: link image

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #20608 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic This site is...Big UP!
Personally, if listening with your friends in the garden, I would recommend starting out with some Bass reflex cabs, as they are relatively easy to build and they sound nice (if built properly and good designs are chosen) even in small stacks and at relatively low volume. If you want to go the scoop route, then they will sound better in larger stacks, and I personally find that horns sound best played a bit loud. When you turn them down low, they do not sound as good as a bass reflex playing at the same volume. Of course when you turn them up loud, a good horn will eat a bass reflex for breakfast. Treble boxes are easy, just a housing for a good compression driver and horn combo. Mid boxes, I find require the most thought. They don't have to be huge, but standing waves and dispersion are always a concern. If a 12 inch driver says it is good up to 6000hz, that will only be if you stand directly in front of it and even then it will sound sloppy up that high. The higher they play, the more they will beam. Your mid box may be enough to cover everything between the sub and the treble, but many people decide they need a kick bin as well to cover the upper bass. I think if you do reflex boxes for the subs and mids, you would be fine. If you do scoops, and horns, a kick bin may be necessary, and it gets expensive fast.

My suggestion would be something like a G Sub or two and a pair of x12 s or something like it to get you started. This will make a fair amount of noise and be easy to build more of later if necessary.

Maybe tapped horns instead of Gsub (Cubos or Thams or CB-18s or something). Those are a little more tricky to build but they perform well.

If you want to do horns instead, this site has a lot of designs, but will require some extra research as it often does not include suggested drivers hornplans . SpeakerPlans has some designs and a useful forum to ask for more help too.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brownies

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds