Hi from Australia, first sub build?

• gt_jumper
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #20496 by gt_jumper
Hi from Australia, first sub build? was created by gt_jumper
Hi people! B)

I Am a studio engineer looking to start building my own FOH setup for mainly Heavier styles of music to rooms of no more then 700, mostly 300 though. I need to build a sub that is small and very powerful, hopefully a pair of 1x18" bins with 1000watt rms capability. I need punch more then the uber low sub frequencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will also be posting the build in here of course :)

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #20500 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Hi from Australia, first sub build?
I think it is a bit optimistic to try for a heavy sound covering up to 700 with a pair of 1x18s. Horn loaded bins usually sound best in 4s (though they will easily cover punchy not subby), and reflex will not cover that many people with just two 18s. Well I suppose reflex could work, but not impressively. Bandpass subwoofer designs will be more for sub bass and not so much punch. I think I would suggest tapped horns with high sensitivity drivers. Perhaps cubos.

• gt_jumper
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #20501 by gt_jumper
Replied by gt_jumper on topic Hi from Australia, first sub build?
Cheers for the answer :)

I usually get hired to mix to crowds of 200 - 300. the system has a single twin 18" 1000watt bass reflex style sub and it does a fine job but its massive and heavy. I plan on doing hires and there is a chance i will have to load in by myself sometimes so portability is key here. If i have to make another pair to have 4 (2 per side) then that would be a good plan for my personal needs.

With the tapped horns, is there a delay for the kick/punch? I have read this somewhere and im not entirely sure how well it would sound for a live band in a smallish venue?

Forgive my noobness here im very new to speaker design and live applications.

Thankyou so much for your advise man :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #20586 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Hi from Australia, first sub build?
It also depends upon your choice of mid-tops, I personally would consider building single 18" reflexes that can be stacked and a double 12" + comp for the mids etc.

The minimum you would require is a 2 x 18" per side + the double 12" mid tops.

The Tapped horn is another solution as stated above and a pair of THAM15,s would also work well but would not quite have the range of a good 18" reflex.

Tony

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds