Plain and simple? Powered 12"

More
11 years 2 months ago #19615 by RLee
Plain and simple? Powered 12" was created by RLee
I'm new to the forum. I've searched all over the internet for a very simple DYI 12" two way active PA cabinet. I have found some beautiful, imaginative and artsy speaker plans out there but all I want is a servicable, very basic 12" full range active PA speaker. I basically want a trapazoidal 200-300 watt speaker for live music reproduction. Nothing fancy, nothing inspired from Greecian art or DaVinci. I've tried the enclosure calculators and they give me paramters and measurements but they don't seem to be maluable to the enclosure I want. Assuming the box is 22" x 15" (front) x 14" (sides) and 12" across the back. I guess I'm looking for plans that are already out there and are close to these dimensions or I'm searching for a enclosure calculator that will allow me to put in the dimensions and just give the the port diameter and length specifications. Heck, even if i could find the port specs based on internal volume I could do this. The calculators I've used give me the dimensions of the box I should build. All of them have been way to big for practical purposes.

Thanks,
Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #19624 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic Re: Plain and simple? Powered 12"
I'm working on a1* 12 in a 1.6 plain and simple box 300/350 v but not powered .I will be using a amp,do you have speakers or buying new ones ? if so do you have spec,s ?

More
11 years 2 months ago #19625 by RLee
Replied by RLee on topic Re: Plain and simple? Powered 12"
Thanks for your reponse. Yes, I have deciced on the drivers I'm going to use. I have the Theile-Small parameters and I think i've figured the port(s) out. It just so happened that I came across an online box calculator that allowed me to input the specs and my own box dimensions. The box is going to be 2.0 ft3, tuned to 45 hz using two 2" diameter X 10.6 cm (4 1/8") ports.

I'm having difficulty now determining the displacement volume of the components. I'm guessing my internal volume is going to be 2.0 ft3. It is actually 2.203 I'm guessing the components will take up the .203, or close to it. Though, actually, I have no earthly idea. I'm not even sure how exacting it needs to be?

I do need some help selected an amplifier for this unit. It seems that most of what I have found are designed for home theater / hi-fi applications with RCA input jacks. I'm needing something with an XLR, and a couple of 1/4' inputs, Speakon / Neutrik input and line out. I also need gain control and three band EQ. (Heck, I'm about to talk myself out of the project and just go with passives and a powered mixer.)

Thanks,
Ron

More
11 years 2 months ago #19629 by sn95
The .203 is not going to a thing ,Dayton audio make at PA plate amp 250 w XLR and 1/4 input .BTW don't talk your out of it.I got in to DIY speaker,s a about a year or so ,my frist looked like s--h but sound good ,now I working on a trapezoid . I will look for the part # on the amp.

More
11 years 2 months ago #19630 by sn95

More
11 years 2 months ago #19634 by RLee
Replied by RLee on topic Re: Plain and simple? Powered 12"
I just ordered two of the amplifiers you suggested from Parts Express. I'll take photos along the way and post them to the forum. Should be fun!

More
11 years 2 months ago #19636 by sn95
Happy to help ,BTW I pickup a amp today to

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds