Bass guitar cabinet suggestion

• Electrical_EngiNerd
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #19355 by Electrical_EngiNerd
Bass guitar cabinet suggestion was created by Electrical_EngiNerd
Howdy, all. Does anyone out there have any suggestions / plans for a bass guitar speaker enclosure? I plan to build 4 separate amplifiers for 4 respective speakers. Unfortunately, I don't know much about speaker cabinets/enclosures other than regular, (non-component) bass guitar amp/speaker combo enclosures are disappointingly low-fi. How can I use enclosure technology to hi-fi my bass guitar speakers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Electrical_EngiNerd
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #19361 by Electrical_EngiNerd
Replied by Electrical_EngiNerd on topic Re: Bass guitar cabinet suggestion
Thanks bgrade for the link to enclosure calculators:
www.mh-audio.nl/ReflexBoxCalculator.asp

Each of the four speakers will be driven by four separate special guitar pickups with very specific frequency bandwidths. If each of the four speaker enclosures were designed to have a high acoustical gain (or resonance?) at these four specific bandwidths, that would be the bawm!... That's like, acoustical crossover networks!... Heady stuff!

Do you think that this would be a good application for four separate Sixth-Order Bandpass Subwoofer Enclosures; each tuned to their respective bandwidths?
www.mh-audio.nl/Bandpass.asp

If so, anyone have some sample speaker parameters that I could plug in for:
Qts, Vas, and Fs, are the electro-mechanical parameters for your woofer. ("Thiele-Small" parameters)?

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #19362 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Bass guitar cabinet suggestion
Not necessarily the best speakers, but there are some decent ones in there, and they are not too expensive. Here is the Eminence site. I generally buy off Parts Express or eBay. Anyhow the pro series and neos are decent.
www.eminence.com/pro-audio/professional-series/
Also US Speakers lists a wide variety and range of quality drivers, usually showing the T/S Numbers
www.usspeaker.com/
Should give you some parameters to mess with anyhow and are available in the states (You are in Boise right?).

As for running four way from the pickups on the bass, that might be a hard way to run. Might have some phasing issues at overlaps, and you won't have any ability to adjust delay per channel. Maybe run into a bass preamp and then through and active crossover and then to 4 individual power amps for each of the speakers. Would have the added possibility of also being able to send a line signal from the preamp to PA if playing at a venue where your rig will be out gunned by house sound. Sounds like your rig will be plenty loud, but depending what type of music you are playing, how big the room is, it might not be enough in all situations. Also wtih four pickups running you would need to send out 4 instrument cables from a customized bass or an expensive and cumbersome snake.

Hopefully helpful. Your idea sounds kind of cool and maybe it would sound great, and I would be very interested to hear how it worked out, but I think the active crossover will be way easier to use effectively.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by bgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrical_EngiNerd

• Electrical_EngiNerd
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #19363 by Electrical_EngiNerd
Thanks bgrade,
Do you think I'm woofering (barking) up the right tree with bandpass subs, or stick with your original suggestion of bass reflex? I will get the four specific bandwiths info from my guitar guy.
You seem to know your stuff... I haven't built a speakerboxx since 20+ years ago... Since we are in the same relative neighborhood, would you be interested in a commissioned design/build? Like if I gave you the bandwidths to tune the boxes to, could you design them accordingly, build them, and ship them to me? I'm on a low budget, but if you would private message me a ballpark bid for your work; I would be much obliged. Work-trade for electrical work or amplifier building is also an option.
Could be fame involved, too; your cabs would be rockin' the Boise Maker's Faire among others.
boisemakerfaire.com/
I don't know if you are familiar with Maker's Faire, but these folks would definitely dig speakerbox makers entering exhibits in their show.

More
11 years 4 months ago #19364 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Bass guitar cabinet suggestion
...huh... I typed up a longer reply, but when I submitted it, it disappeared into the ether.

Anyways sorry if this double posts.

Hold up on the band pass, and see if you can make yourself a single enclosure that will cover your needs. The band pass will be subby, but a well designed reflex box can go nice and low and be less gigantic. Later you could make a Band Pass if you want, but I bet you can get a great sound in with just two bands.

I am not a pro builder and could not commit to robbing you of this experience. You will understand sound better after you build your own. Do your research and make lots of theoretical boxes before you buy anything. Pick your driver and make the box to suit it, as opposed to picking a box and trying to use a non recommended driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Electrical_EngiNerd

• Electrical_EngiNerd
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #19365 by Electrical_EngiNerd
Ha! My response vanished also. Too many beers ago to remember what I wrote originally, but here goes:
I dig what you said about the experience of building one's own speakerboxx. I will take you advice and hold off on the band-pass. Your concern with phasing issues at the overlap is a very intelligent observation; normally this would be an issue, but all I can say right now is that this is no ordinary bass and pickup arrangement. I appreciate your advice... I don't know who doles out the karma points on this website, but you definitely earned some in the rest of the universe.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds