I NEED YOUR HELP!! 10" Front loaded sub design THE RADIHORN

• drbis84
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 1 month ago #16818 by drbis84
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie with a project in mind, but I'm full of doubts and I need your expert opinion to see if it can work.
I have two 10" car subs (AUDIO SYSTEM - RADION 10 PLUS) and I found a plan of an old 10" back-loaded horn that I have slightly changed by reversing the cone and adding a closed rear chamber.

The result is the following:

I tryed to model it with hornresp with the following results:

I also imported it in Akabak to simulate subsonic filter and low pass filter.
High pass 35Hz 24db - Low pass 85Hz 24db

The music I like is reggae roots and dub and I want to use it both outdoor and indoor.
I know it is ONLY a 10" so I don't expect to destroy buildings with two of these horns.
Just some good bass (at least louder than a 60L with Fb 35Hz).

My first and greatest doubt is about group delay peaks at 40Hz and ~100Hz. Mainly the ~100Hz one!
The only horn I've heard is PD1850 SUPER SCOOPER which for my ears is fast enough when playing dub music.
I know that 10" is not 18" but what I want to understand is if group delay is so bad.
I found this simulation with hornresp and you can see that group delay is quite similar (PD1850 black - RADION10PLUS grey).

I can also add a delay of ~8/10ms on the mid-highs so that group delay between 60-80Hz can be considered as near 0ms.

Second doubt is about cone displacement.
If xmax is 8mm can I consider 10-12mm to be the xmech?
What happens in sealed rear chamber with displacement greater than xmax? Will the sub get too "hot"?
Is a rear vented chamber tuned to about 30Hz a good idea?
Even lower to take port group delay peak not over the 40Hz existing group delay.

Third doubt is about the wood thickness and foldings.
Is 16mm chipboard acceptable without bracing? Internal cab width is 40cm.
Are there too many folds in your opinion? Will they change the response too much?

I'd be really grateful if you help me with your answers and your comments.
If I said too much rubbish please correct me as much as you can.

Thanks in advance.

PS. A little cad preview to let me dream

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #16822 by bee

• drbis84
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 1 month ago #16823 by drbis84
For sure Bee.
Actually those two 10" are part of my first diy sub a 60 liters 35 Hz bass reflex using two 100mm pvc pipes 56cm long with a 90° bend.
Hornresp says that the reflex has a flat efficiency of 89db 1w/1m down to 36 Hz (with a peak around 40/43 Hz).
The horn would have an efficiency of 93db at 40Hz and would be 96db flat to say 90 Hz with the proper xover (peaking around 100Hz).
Advantage would be 6db of efficiency but with a higher cutoff and I think group delay is the main problem especially on the 100Hz side.
As title says I need someone who tells me :thumbup: or :thumbdown: about my doubts so I can decide what to do.
If you can give me your opinion would be helpful.
smiley4

More
12 years 1 month ago #16825 by bee
you could xover at 80hz to a kick cab, or try to eq it out, i would build two, and do some testing, real world testing can be very differant to what akabak or horn resp etc says..... for example a peak can be eq'd out but group phase (cancellation) cant..... I use akabak to get me started with new projects, but then build prototypes to get down to the nitty gritty....... of how cabs interact with each other. Some times you cant beat just cutting up some wood and see what happens...... you could use mdf as its cheap for your prototypes......

• drbis84
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 1 month ago #16826 by drbis84
I agree with you Bee.
I will try to build a prototype and see (or better ear) if it is good enough.
Thank you for your suggestions.
If it will be good I will post something.
smiley2

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds