Hello all, Im a newbie lookin' for advice!

• 5150mk
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 7 months ago #15264 by 5150mk
i finally realized that im tired of using and advertising store bought cabinets and started building my own, i dont have any complete yet but do have 2 about 80% done. Dual 15 cab with a horn made of 11 ply birch, but really went out on a limb with this one, i have no speaker cabinet building history to talk of besides the slap together grab whatever wood my dad had laying around and put mismatched speakers in them back when i was a early teenager type boxes!! But my sound system has grown much bigger now and have bought some of the higher end cabs and power amps that work well, but still i know half the cabs i own are not the best material and could sound better and im going for a more uniform look of the complete system when its set up. I have so many different styles of cabs, (subs, tops, single 18's, double 18's, single 15's with horn, double 15's with horn) you get the picture, so when i run a big outdoor show and set it all up, it looks as if i borrowed a set of speakers from every music store around in franklin county!!! Im looking to find some top cabinet plans that house 2 15's and a horn, im new on the site and cant find my way around the best and thought i would ask. Also, what about the covering for the cabs you guys are building? I am not a fan of carpet at all on cabs, hate it, i am a carpet layer by trade and the floor is where it belongs, im wondering about truck bed liner? What about duratex? This is gonna be nice dealing with poeple that know their stuff, unlike every hardware store and lumber yard i've been to!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #15403 by Daz
Welcome to FSP smiley20

Take a little time to find your way round. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and plenty of people who will take the time to help you out smiley1

As far as cab covering goes, i'm 100% with you on the carpet thing. Just plain old black paint (sprayed not brushed on) Done on a regular basis it works just fine for me. If it gets scratched or chipped its easy to touch up and fix.

Daz

More
12 years 4 months ago #16210 by g6akn
Replied by g6akn on topic Hello all, Im a newbie lookin' for advice!
Hello Matt.

I'm just like you a newbie to this and am considering a self build myself.
I would say to you read the site all the designs and consider the comments from the users. I dont know which to buils at the moment.

There is a very good building guide on here tha is worth a read I've gone through it several times. I hope the mods don't mind but I've attached it for you.

I have also found an article on another site where the builder explains HIS construction techniques/ You may fond his comments useful

A friend of mine who is Ex BBC has said rugged constructionm screwed and glued and seal all the joints with silicone sealant. (That nasty stuff that is used in Kitchens and Bathrooms. In my experience it go's everywhere but where you want it how the pro's get neat resuls with it I don't know !!!

the link to the article is - www.colomar.com/Shavano/pa_speaker_project.html

and the link to the Guide in this site is - www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=guide

Read. Learn Inwardly digest! and the only stupid question is the one that is never asked !

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds