Hello from South Central PA, US

• jgeissin
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 10 months ago #13686 by jgeissin
Hello from South Central PA, US was created by jgeissin
New to the site, NOT new to speaker building; built my first from an old crate, 8" full range, using a small stereo to power, moved to tube amps (Heath AA-50, still have several!) then onto building a three way (still using this set).
Recently, build some Altec VOT A7 reproductions, put the horns into their own cabinets for ease of transport and use them for small DJ gigs.
LOVE building my own cabinets.
Also recently build 1 LAB sub, very difficult first build, lots of caulking to seal things up due to angle cut errors, would like to see that cabinet done with a CNC rig for better fit. Great sound, but should be used in pairs minimum. They will shake the dust out of the ceiling in any room!
Planning on building USB bins, should give me better out door response when using two.
Getting old, so bigger cabinets have got to have good handles and wheels.
Seriously considering using paper honeycomb material to build some boxes; kraft paper on both sides of the material, fill the voids with poly foam and then 'paint' with resin, build the box with this material, then cover with several layers of fiberglass cloth, plenty of bracing. MIGHT just work, and should reduce the weight radically from 18mm birch we normally use! Some food for thought...
Love the site and I will ensure yo post past, present and future projects and Gigs they are used at.
Thanks for the site and the sharing of ideas.

Jon Geissinger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13687 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Hello from South Central PA, US
Welcome fellow American! smiley20

More
12 years 10 months ago #13688 by bee

More
12 years 10 months ago #13693 by Sinfinity
Replied by Sinfinity on topic Hello from South Central PA, US
Always good to see new faces smiley20

More
12 years 10 months ago #13720 by ric3xrt
Replied by ric3xrt on topic Hello from South Central PA, US
another Pa Guy......Woooooooo Whoooo

More
12 years 10 months ago #13750 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Hello from South Central PA, US
Hello Jon!

I recently built some 2 x 10'' subs out of light weight 15mm ply, I can pick the cabs up above my head LOADED smiley20 , all I did was heavily brace them, and they work fine smiley2

More
12 years 10 months ago #13762 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Hello from South Central PA, US
welcome jon.

mykey, what kind of loading did you adopted? horn, tapped horn, banpass, reflex?

More
12 years 10 months ago #13776 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Hello from South Central PA, US

mykey- wrote: Hello Jon!

I recently built some 2 x 10'' subs out of light weight 15mm ply, I can pick the cabs up above my head LOADED smiley20 , all I did was heavily brace them, and they work fine smiley2

Fitzmaurices cabs are mostly 15mm i believe..............I have often wondered about using cardboard or something else coated with glass cloth and resin.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds