New Member, looking for advice. I know, right?

• RRJackson
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 1 week ago #12825 by RRJackson
Hiya! My name's Rob Jackson. I'm from Bradenton Florida. I guess I'd most easily be classified as a middle-aged hobbyist with some background in live sound.

My question is about an old Sunn cabinet that I've been thinking about building a copy of. The old Sunn 212LH. It was a 2 x 12" cabinet that made some effort to horn-load the 12" drivers. There's a photo of one linked below in case it's an unfamiliar product. My question was about the usefulness of this horn design. I've never owned one of these cabinets, but they were always a curiosity of mine because John Entwistle used to use them and I stared at photos of his rig a lot as a kid. I've been thinking about building a 2 x 10" or 2 x 12" cabinet to use on top of an old Gauss Karlson coupler 18" cabinet that I use for bass and wondered if a horn design like this would be worth the bother.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #12829 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic New Member, looking for advice. I know, right?
It's all a question of balance, Is it bass for a PA or bass for a bass guitar? If there is lots of efficiency in the cab, then it would depend on what goes underneath. If it's PA, a more natural sound will be required. If it's for a bass guitar, then the cab may only be used to produce a certain sound for effect. John used Sunn gear early on but ended up using this.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders
Attachments:

• RRJackson
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 1 week ago #12838 by RRJackson
Replied by RRJackson on topic New Member, looking for advice. I know, right?
Well, the question goes more to the point of how well-designed that horn system was. It seemed like a very shallow horn for a 12" driver, just based on what I'm used to seeing in the way of horns for speakers that size. The cabinet would be for bass, though. As far as Entwistle goes, I spoke at length with someone who engineered some of his studio work and he said Entwistle was pretty easygoing in the studio. His "distortion module" was whatever guitar amp and 12" cabinet happened to be available at the time for the sessions this gentleman was at. Live was of course another matter.

My preoccupation with that particular cabinet design stems from a lot of nights as a teenager sitting at midnight movies watching The Kids Are Alright while really inebriated. So the thinky-thinky part of my brain is a little less involved with this impulse...and yet I can't help slapping some thinky-thinky second-guessing in there for good measure.

Hey, I just noticed the "A.S.S."...that's not like the Entwistle "Acoustic Sound Services" A.S.S., is it? If so...uh...wow. Cool. smiley20

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: It's all a question of balance, Is it bass for a PA or bass for a bass guitar? If there is lots of efficiency in the cab, then it would depend on what goes underneath. If it's PA, a more natural sound will be required. If it's for a bass guitar, then the cab may only be used to produce a certain sound for effect.

More
13 years 1 week ago #12839 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic New Member, looking for advice. I know, right?
Check the name of the poster above you.
Tony....................A.S.S.

More
13 years 1 week ago #12851 by bee

nickyburnell wrote: Check the name of the poster above you.
Tony....................A.S.S.

:lol: yes is the answer tony ass is the man behind the legendry Acoustic Sound Services.....

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds