file flat response

13 years 2 weeks ago #11839 by polyal
flat response was created by polyal
i need to build some flat response full range studio monitors (medium power for small control room) ...can anyone give me any pointers links etc
regards
polyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 weeks ago #11846 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic flat response
you may just get a flat response

13 years 2 weeks ago #11847 by bee
Replied by bee on topic flat response
have you looked into a reflex design....... there is not enough info hear for anyone to help you, what power are you looking at, what drivers do you want to use, size of cabs etc.....

13 years 2 weeks ago #11849 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic flat response
You will need to know more about x/o's than cabs if you want a really good one. Building the cabs will be easy, it's the x/o's that will be time consuming.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

13 years 2 weeks ago #11861 by polyal
Replied by polyal on topic flat response
thanks for the replies

i have no idea about speakers and x/o ..i am using mackie 824's At the moment..these are really flat 50hz-20k (+/- 2db appx)
i need something with a bit more power as the room is 24x12' but with a similar response down to say 35hz
i am trying to build a full range studio monitor

a commercial set of speakers would cost £5000 and beyond ....so i am picking as many brains as pos so i can build my own
at a fraction of the cost ( hopefully )..i have no probs with diy'ing or electronics....i just dont have a clue as to the components
to get

the main criteria is a flat response ..size and weight is of no consequence

any further help would be gratefully appreciated
regards
polyal

13 years 2 weeks ago #11863 by bee
Replied by bee on topic flat response
your first step would be to decide on the drivers you want to use....... the mackie's use a low distortion woofer 8.75-inch and a 1-inch ferrofluid cooled titanium dome tweeter. These drivers are high end. Tony ass may be able to advise you on what drivers to use for your new cabs. Then you need to design the reflex cab and a cross over between the lf and hf drivers, im sure there are a few guys on hear that could help with the cross overs. The cab size and design will be dictated by the drivers you choose to use.

13 years 2 weeks ago #11865 by polyal
Replied by polyal on topic flat response
i think a 10" (12"??) woofer 6"mid and a 1"tweeter(similar to the mackie) would be ok?
can anyone recommend any suitable speakers...how would i calculate the box size
..can i get x/overs off the shelf...any recommendations/suggestions would be gratefully
appreciated...are poly cones better than paper cones??

this system will only be used at medium volumes so extreme wattage is not necessary

regards
polyal